Breeding storrs monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraschram

Reaction score
Hi all!
I just got a pair of storrs monitors and i wasn't really planing to breed them
but they are randy little buggers and have been entwined all day today so i suppose its quite possible that I may end up with eggs after all.
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the gestation, incubation times and temperatures are for these guys as i cant find anything useful on the web and books on Australian monitors seem to be quite scarce. Any info anyone wants to share would be great! I have spencers monitors and am basically treating the storrs the same as the spencers at the moment.
Also they are about 20 cm long nose to tip of tail (2.5 yrs old I'm told) She had ten eggs last year but wasn't mated so no babies. How many eggs do they normally have and what size container would you use to incubate these.
I know this is a bit pedantic but id rather be prepared if they do decide to produce a clutch....
Thanks !
laura

Hi Laura,

There is a fantastic article in Reptiles Australia in Volume 2 issue 5.

re Breeding

Ive had 4 and 6 eggs from one female consecutively,the incubayion period is close to 65 days at 31C which can fluctuate slightly.They are much the same as a beardy with egg laying etc,very easy,an underated monitor in my oppinion that is on class 2 in NSW for whatever reason.They seem to be somewhat sexually dimorphic,the females look more dainty in comparison to the male which is larger with a somehat broader head.Yeh as with most reptiles what you look up on the net is mainly crap even if it comes from formally trained herps.

re Breeding

The container in here with dragon eggs is the same one i used for storrs,the incubation medium was vermiculite.

Last edited:
hi laura,also look for articles on ridge tailed and gillens in another issue of reptiles australia,as husbandry is similar to storrs there,i havnt bred storrs yet but my pr are also starting to show signs of getting ready to mate,but from my ridgey experience,id put incubation at 30 to 32 degrees as taking more like 90 to 120 days,but yeah only going on ridge tails and from what ive read of storrs,incubation can vary tremendously but with small monitors usuall alot longer than beardies,good luck with your storrs,keep us posted to how they go

re Breeding

You will find out that the incubation temps are shorter than 90 to 120 days richard,i set the temp within the egg container to 31c but it reaches 32C and possibly more on some really hot days.Ive just looked up imformation on storrs on the net and as an example look up mampam conservation varanus storri,its all quotes fom peters 72,james et al 92 etc.some of what you read is that females grow bigger than males,they are (believed) to feed mainly on geckos,males outnumber females,although they say they cant sex them because they have similar spurs.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back