Breeding woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, my woodies seem to boom and grow in my enclosure, but when i transfer them to a tub, they all die off -_-"

Heat is fine.. as I said you can let them get quite cold without drama. That humidity may stink them up and make them unhealthy so provide ventilation. Remember they are escape artists. They will climb your cord and escape, squeeze out of the tiniest gaps. Make sure you have fluon to keep them in.

Sent him some today :) lol

I have noticed, that the woodies in my tub, well around about 1/4 of what i had initialy, if not a bit more, have died off. :S
Pretty much some of them have gone all soft, and others all hard and stiff.
Any reason behind this? Not hot enough? not enough food?

I put in fresh veggies (carrots, bokchoy) and some petfood every 2nd day and clean out the scraps.

Cheers,

yeah mate i dont think there is enough heat. They go dormant if it gets too cold and die off. What heat source are you using?

Attempted to purchase some woodies myself from jemmi woodies, but haven't heard back. Emailed again and still no reply (been over a week now).
Can anyone suggest another good place to get woodies that post?

yeah mate i dont think there is enough heat. They go dormant if it gets too cold and die off. What heat source are you using?

As for heating i actualy have it placed ontop of my enclosures, so using the heat from them, lol.
Probaly isnt the best way to do, and probaly isnt getting hot enough, might measure the temps tongiht and see what they are sitting at.

Ideal temp around 26c?

Ditto.
Beats buying small tuba for $8 each while herpshops re-stocking :)

I have noticed, that the woodies in my tub, well around about 1/4 of what i had initialy, if not a bit more, have died off. :S
Pretty much some of them have gone all soft, and others all hard and stiff.
Any reason behind this? Not hot enough? not enough food?

I put in fresh veggies (carrots, bokchoy) and some petfood every 2nd day and clean out the scraps.

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

if you are having to remove scraps, you are probably putting too much in, and working too hard on maintaining them

its not hard, mine thrive on neglect

1/ ventilation
2/ heat 28 degrees
3/ rat pellets or simular
4/ carrot every 2nd or 3rd day, just enough for them to eat in a day or so (for moisture)
5/ clean when required

job done, feed to reptiles

Hmm.. I think i may know the problem.

Put in a probe to see what temps are.. Yeah ive been cooking them!
32c!!
So i moved the tub and keep measuring the temps seems to be dropping now so will keep doing it till i get temps perfect.

I must be paying to much attention to them haha.

Ill keep an eye on the amount of food im putting in too.

Cheers,

The worst thing you can do when breeding woodies is when you start your colony, not buying enough in the 1st place to start off and having them die out and making 3 purchases of 1000 Woodies each time once they run out, i was feeding about 10 dragons and i couldnt keep up the numbers.

I ended up buying an allready established colony from camt44 and they are breeding like crazy, in the 1st place i should have bought about 4000 to feed them and breed them. Dont make that mistake. As it can turn out really expensive and a waste of money.

jinin I've worked out thats my problem, the adults are dying quicker than they can breed :lol:

Also I just sit my woodie tub ontop of the hot end of my beardie enclosure is that good enough? I really cant be bothered getting them their own heat mat...

Mine have no heat and live outside and are fine. Slow this time of year but still alive and still having babies. They really do thrive on neglect.

Good to hear they are going well Jinin. That is the key, you have to get heaps and heaps to start off with. I used to never be able to get them to be sustainable and would have to top it up every few weeks, so then I decided to buy like 3000 or so, and from then on I've never been short, and that was about 18 months ago, instead I have had excess to give away to friends/sell to people

how do you guys count the woodies, 1000 here 3000 there, have you counted mixed numbers by wieght, i dont get it

I dont think im gonna have enough..
No breeding as yet and some are dying and most getting eaten, lol.

Gonna order 3-4k from that livefoods.com.au and go from there :)

Been getting mixed.
Where i buy them from they dont particuly sell large/medium/small, just kinda what you get in the bucket.
Should i try and just buy all large?

I think large size shop bought woodies are probably at the end of their life cycle anyway and will die off fairly quickly. But some will probably lay for you before dieing so it's a trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back