Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoolNerd

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums but have been keeping snakes for roughly 6 years now. I want to get into breeding special morphs of snakes (albino, caramels etc) and I was wondering if any patient person with experience out there would want to mentor a newbie ? I have studied Biology and Zoology at university so I shouldn't be TOO difficult to teach but expect silly questions

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

In terms of the actual genetics or their husbandry?
Welcome to APS :)

In terms of the actual genetics or their husbandry?
Welcome to APS :)
More the actual genetics there are so many different terms [emoji50]. The husbandry a little bit too but I'm going to buy myself that Aussie python husbandry and breeding book everyone recommends.

More the actual genetics there are so many different terms [emoji50]. The husbandry a little bit too but I'm going to buy myself that Aussie python husbandry and breeding book everyone recommends.

Ah ok. To be honest reptile genetics is very easy to understand when you start to get into it, so I'd recommend watching some youtube videos or just check out a few websites on the subject.

Ah ok. To be honest reptile genetics is very easy to understand, so I'd recommend watching some youtube videos on the subject.
Thank you just wasn't even sure where to start but I shall go hunting :)

Not sure how clear this pic comes out, but it’s the basic albino off spring chart.

As you mentioned, mike swans book is great.

Lots of different genetics:
http://www.moreliapythonradio.com/Morphs-of-the-Morelia-complex.html

Some are recessive, some are dominant, some can be co dominant etc.

E57EBF9C-7D4D-4BB6-A65F-5DC5D8BFE621.jpeg

The first thing I’d learn is what homozygous and heterozygous means :eek:

Not sure how clear this pic comes out, but it’s the basic albino off spring chart.

View attachment 323732
Thank you heaps for that! I actually found that pic before and have been looking for it. I guess the stuff im wondering about is like what exactlt defines a jaguar, caramel, zebra, granite, fluro etc. Not sure where to find some resources on that.

View attachment 323732

The first thing I’d learn is what homozygous and heterozygous means :eek:
Don't worry I'm silly you just posted a link to exactly what I needed ! Thank you heaps for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you heaps for that! I actually found that pic before and have been looking for it. I guess the stuff im wondering about is like what exactlt defines a jaguar, caramel, zebra, granite, fluro etc. Not sure where to find some resources on that.

Well those are only a few examples of certain traits, so some might be recessive, co-dominant, dominant, polygenic etc.

Well those are only a few examples of certain traits, so some might be recessive, co-dominant, dominant, polygenic etc.
True I was actually reading up on polygenic inheritance just before :) will keep just doing a bunch more research I have more than enough time to learn my pythons I want to breed are only hatchlings at the moment.

True I was actually reading up on polygenic inheritance just before :) will keep just doing a bunch more research I have more than enough time to learn my pythons I want to breed are only hatchlings at the moment.

Mind sharing some pics of what you have?

Mind sharing some pics of what you have?
Love to ! I pick up my het Darwin and albino Darwin pair on Friday so don't have them yet and just picked up a Bredli where the pick is a little blurry but don't want to disturb him again just yet he was being kept in horrible conditions his substrate was a folded up kids blanket ! I don't think he had heat and i dont think they understand how reptiles thermoregulate at all [emoji26]

Also don't laugh at the gloves i didn't know when he had eaten last haha [emoji23]
9390f8a8ee7d2dbf7bb4f0b60ad58742.jpg
8c5aabde4ce53b83ab643390c7e9387d.jpg
47064022c89d3151dead3e973f888b04.jpg

hey mate heres a link to carpet python genetics calculator . thid will tell you all possible morphs and traits and the outcomes of crossing them etc .. also hte site will show you examples.. very handy site
https://www.morphmarket.com/c/reptiles/pythons/carpet-pythons/genetic-calculator/
[doublepost=1522824519,1522824438][/doublepost]
Maybe some of the single genetic traits such as albino are simple but good luck working out multiple genetic markers.
this makes it pretty easy

Maybe some of the single genetic traits such as albino are simple but good luck working out multiple genetic markers.
This is the problem haha

hey mate heres a link to carpet python genetics calculator . thid will tell you all possible morphs and traits and the outcomes of crossing them etc .. also hte site will show you examples.. very handy site
https://www.morphmarket.com/c/reptiles/pythons/carpet-pythons/genetic-calculator/
[doublepost=1522824519,1522824438][/doublepost]
Perfect! Thanks so much for that

Only if you breed American lines lol.
If an animal over there has a tinge of a different colour or a stripe/band that is slightly different it gets a new name. Its not as clear cut as this might appear.

Then the 2nd problem when dealing with mixed genetics is actually picking what you have visually in the clutch when they hatch.

Only if you breed American lines lol.
If an animal over there has a tinge of a different colour or a stripe/band that is slightly different it gets a new name. Its not as clear cut as this might appear.

Then the 2nd problem when dealing with mixed genetics is actually picking what you have visually in the clutch when they hatch.
Maybe that's why it seems overwhelming ive looked at so many beautiful morphs of ball pythons. They're always like " this is a super lavender moon glow confetti high yellow " haha

Good call, but @ZoolNerd is a smart person by the sound of it :)
Ah thank you ! [emoji5]

Maybe that's why it seems overwhelming ive looked at so many beautiful morphs of ball pythons. They're always like " this is a super lavender moon glow confetti high yellow " haha

Yea we don’t have anywhere NEAR just their ball pythons have. Maybe one day, but I think I heard on snakebytestv there’s like 100 different different morph names (not mixed just 100%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back