Bring back the cane!!!!!??????? for the juvenile problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While junenile crime is as mentioned out of control parents and the way kids are bought up have a lot to do with it In america they have a program in some prisons that repeat offenders are taken to the jails there and spoken to some of the long term crimms and told exactly what life there is like every person has the choice to be a good person or not

Yes bring back the cane. I didn't have it when I was at school, but if I did I would have received it many times... I can think of a lot of people (including myself) who deserved it when I went through school, and a lot of kids would benefit from a good caning now too.

School kids now are a joke - I don't know, perhaps I'm just getting older and grumpier but seriously, they are beyond words. I have wanted to punch my little brothers friends so many times (grade 10). Absolutely no manners the way they speak to my parents (no pleases and thank yous, call them by their first name, no manners and graces at all) and to me, rude, unfriendly and would benefit from being put in line for sure.

Unfortunately these days it's unacceptable to discipline children physically, despite the fact humans (and all other animals who have anything to do with their children) have been doing it for thousands of years. You only have to go down to the Coles or Woolies to see the quality of today's children and the "discipline" their parents try to enforce on them.

I was hit a lot when I was younger because I was a little turd, and I turned out just fine and am thankful for it.

Corporal punishment made me harder. It made me less likely to get caught. It made me more violent by giving me the belief that the way to reverse wrong was through acts of violent retribution.
Thats what you get, you want that coming round your house at 3 in the morning.
Phil, you didn't turn out fine. You just wrote you want to see other people hurt their children.

I understand where your coming from Peter I'm exactly the same.
I have used smacking on my daughter who is 5. One day I asked her to do her room, she said straight up NO. I turned around said Brandi youv'e made the mess I'm telling you to clean it up if I come in and you haven't started you will be smacked. I gave her 5 minutes and returned, no progress. I said Brandi why won't you do as your told would you rather be smacked or tidy your room, I WANT A SMACK, was the answer, so I gave her a few decent ones, enough to sting my hand a bit, and she just bit her bottom lip and glared in defiance even managing to hold back the tears. I had to leave the room so she couldn't see me smile and I was actually a little proud of her. I smack a lot less now but sometimes it's still affective..

I used to play up for my mother and if she was at the end of her tether she would always use the wait till your father got home line. This would only make me worse because I then knew what I had coming, and my Father often crossed the line between discipline and physical assault.

Violence breeds violence, it is as simple as that. If the people children look upto (teachers, parents, friends, governments or police) use violence to solve problems then they will grow up doing the same.

I can tell you with absolute confidence that the majority of kids who are out causing trouble are not doing it because they were never smacked, it is because they have an innapropriate amount of or no boundaries in their home life.

I had plenty of boundaries, it was a challenge crossing them.

I understand where your coming from Peter I'm exactly the same.
I have used smacking on my daughter who is 5. One day I asked her to do her room, she said straight up NO. I turned around said Brandi youv'e made the mess I'm telling you to clean it up if I come in and you haven't started you will be smacked. I gave her 5 minutes and returned, no progress. I said Brandi why won't you do as your told would you rather be smacked or tidy your room, I WANT A SMACK, was the answer, so I gave her a few decent ones, enough to sting my hand a bit, and she just bit her bottom lip and glared in defiance even managing to hold back the tears. I had to leave the room so she couldn't see me smile and I was actually a little proud of her. I smack a lot less now but sometimes it's still affective..

I used to play up for my mother and if she was at the end of her tether she would always use the wait till your father got home line. This would only make me worse because I then knew what I had coming, and my Father often crossed the line between discipline and physical assault.

Steve try giving her a choice when she is being defiant. For example, say to her, 'Brandi, you can clean your room now or you can clean it while Hi5 is on.' Both choices will acheive what you want her to do but it will give her ownership of her behviour. It may not work for you straight away because her defiance has already escalated but keep at it and it will work.

I had plenty of boundaries, it was a challenge crossing them.

And all kids will have ago at crossing them, if the boundary (set by whoever school, home, police) is logical and the crossing of it has an appropriate repercussion that is enforced, they'll do it a few times and work out they can't get away with it and stop.

Last edited:
Yes it does work and I use that method among many others, however I still believe that physical punishment has a place and I don't believe that if done in a controlled manner it is violence, by that I mean physical punishment should never be done out of anger. In saying that I will never agree to the cane because I will decide if and when my child recieves thaty type of punishment, nobody else.

Yes it does work and I use that method among many others, however I still believe that physical punishment has a place and I don't believe that if done in a controlled manner it is violence, by that I mean physical punishment should never be done out of anger. In saying that I will never agree to the cane because I will decide if and when my child recieves thaty type of punishment, nobody else.

I agree absolutely and i think your response compliments my comment. If a smack is an appropriate outcome of a childs behaviour then it should be considered. AND only should be done by parents!

I agree Guzzo it's come to the point i don't walk anywhere once it hits 6, i almost never catch a bus cause i have nearly not gotten out of couple sticky situation... Casuarina security is a joke and police are just the same!!!

but sometimes its hard to treat them equally. Usually they come from the worst backgrounds you could think of
whatever your background is NO excuse

im fed up with hearing them try to use a 'hard life' as an excuse for their actions

'aww my parents hit me'

'aww i was abused'

'i was on drugs,drunk at the time'

lots of us had hard lives and bad backgrounds and didnt turn out bad and if you were on drugs at the time it should be INSTANT jail as they are illegal

a pathetic excuse and its time the courts said 'bad luck'

they still have the same choices as you and me 'YES or NO' but they CHOSE their own pathways

Everyone who is calling for harsher penalties for offenders what are you more interested in, rehabilitation or retribution?

I agree that a person's background isn't an excuse, but I believe it's very important to know about it, I have 3 different mental disorders, and that's taught me to look into things deeper, not to judge a person just by what I see on the outside. If you want to rehabilitate people, you need to know about their life and what has happened to them to understand why they are the way they are, and again, I'll say their background isn't an excuse for what they do, but it is the reason for it. That being said there are a few people who came from a good family and still end up doing bad things, I'm curious as to why, there has to be some reason.

I also agree that the parents are the only ones who should be giving physical punishment to their children. My grandmother didn't like it very much when a teacher bounced her son off a wall for not having his PE uniform... she bounced the teacher off a wall and asked him how HE liked it :lol: as long as the parents aren't being over the top with their smacking it should be fine. My half brother's father was too heavy handed and didn't realise it. My mother could give a good swipe too, she's small but no weakling. I remember one day when I got smacked and made the mistake of saying it didn't hurt :shock: I never made that mistake again!

these days the government gives you around 6 grand to have a child but not 6 grand to teacher your child how to behave, act, respect your elders.
Any fool can have a child but ownly a man can be a father.

I used to get the cane on a regular basis........and I'm a (twitch, twitch) well adjusted human being.......with a short fuse and anger management issues :D :p ...cross my path and won't hesitate in beating you to a pulp! :D ......8).....I mean.....:)

It shouldn't be teachers jobs to discipline kids, it's up to the parents. People wonder why I don't want kids!! There's no respect for anyone, including themselves. Kids are committing crimes at younger ages and parents and the law courts are letting them get away with it. We're far too lenient. My bro and his fiancee's excuse is they can't be bothered

Well if the no hope parents are letting their kids run wild and refuse to discipline them or are unable to discipline them (for whatever reason).....and their kids are preying on society and spreading fear amongst the good people ......then i feel it is up to society to take over and remove that neglected right of their parents (or should i say obligation) and teach them respect. and if force and violence is the only thing they will respect then so be it. These ratbags are running free and wild in our town while good people are too afraid to go out......and that IMO is just wrong

I would want to bring back conscription
I don't think that would help. Switzerland has conscription - and you end up with a bunch of 18 - 20 year old, that don't want to be there, and do anything to get out of it - and they succeed:
-> My religion forbids me to bear arms. (but bashing ppl is fine)
-> I can't shoot at a humanoid shaped target (but torturing rabbits is ok)
-> I have an issue with authority (bring back the cane)
And so on - I've seen it all - I've done conscription -> doesn't change anything in a juvie's behaviour.

Bring back the cain.
My Mom and Dad used to belt me, never too much though just enough to think twice about being a smart****.
Now you can't even do that.
I used to get my bottom whooped with the wooden spoon when I screwed up big time. Ok, I wasn't sitting for an hour or two, cried like there is no tomorrow, but I think, I turned out alright enough not torture animals, beat up people or do other stupidities one reads in the newspaper.

Bring back the cane or even the good old public flogging. 10 or 20 lashes in public sure would be deterrent enough to either not to get caught, and if... well... you know what awaits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back