Broad Banded Sand Swimmers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
Hey All :)

Im just curious about the Broad Banded Sand Swimmers. Im fairly new to the reptile world and have been doing alot of research because i want to expand my 'collection'. My parents decided that i couldnt get something that required more than one Plug (lights mats etc) So i went on the hunt and found Broad Banded Sandswimmers along with some geckos but decided against them. But decided that Sandswimmers seemed alot easier to care for. So did some research (finding out practically nothing)But from what i did find out that they are really really AWESOME.

So I was just wondering how everyone else has found them and what kind of set ups they have because im going to be getting them as soon as im fully set up and i think you guys will help me more than Google ;)

Last edited:
Great little critters. Awesome to look after. Mine live with no added heat or light (I'm in Brisbane). I have four in a little critter keeper with sand.. they will go into a larger enclosure when they get bigger. One end has leaf litter and a small cap full of water that I overflow into the sand every now and again to keep one end more moist. They are super duper cute, great at feeding, poo in one spot but cannot be handled.

Here are some photos the day I got them, but they're bigger now:

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

Feel free to PM me with any questions

cool Philk, i love the pic with its head coming out of the sand. Are they a burrowing lizard ?

They "swim" in the sand, they are very unique, a pleasure to keep, and vastly under-rated. Primo predators in the "mini world".

Agreed Jason. Very, very cool little pets and can be picked up for pretty cheap usually

could you describe how the swim in the sand please.
Do they swim just below the surface so you can see the hump move through the sand, like what is shown in the Transformer movie at the start with the burrowing transformer

Not so much just under the surface, they leave a squiggly line in the sand where they dive down, but usually sit about 2 inches under, and don't make much of a surface ripple when they move, though it depends on depth and type of sand used, as well as how they are heated (whether from above or below). In the wild, birds would soon figure out where to get a feed if they made too much movement on the surface.

I give them no heat and only about an inch of sand... they move in the sand and you can see the way they move. Literally swim through

Thanks Pog.

Jhan. just keep an eye out they pop up occasionally

amazing little critters, would love to to a video of them swimming in the sand, thanks for the description guys

simular to this egyptian sand swimmer i think
[video=youtube;_-rlD-uBVfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-rlD-uBVfQ&feature=related[/video]

i think i want some now... ne one got ne for sale?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back