Broad Banded Sand Swimmers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah as soon as he got home i tried to feed him and he gladly took bout 4 small crickets (smaller than his head) and did his business ;) so all in all i think he likes it here haha

Well so far so good =D hes eaten for me this morning but didnt accept anymore this afternoon BUT what i want to know is what stops him from getting impaction not to sound daft or anything . I understand the situation because they do live in sand only areas so there is no chance of me taking him off im just curious because ive noticed if he gets some sand in his mouth he licks it out (if that makes any sense) but im rather curious haha

(and i would like to know if he needs any like rocks or anything because it looks kind of empty but i dont wanna put anything he doesnt need just for a nicer looking tank)

nah all he needs is sand, crickets and water. i use the red reptile sand cause i reckon it looks nicer. Maybe some leaf litter if you must decorate but be sure to cook/steralise it before placing with your swimmer. And it dont really matter if you give him too many crix in one go because he'll just dive under the sand when he's full so the extra crix wont annoy him at all.

After watching mine eat, it looks to me like the sand that gets on his tongue from lunging at crix he seems to scrape most off with his lips. Which ends up looking like he's got a sand mo! He then scrapes that off on the glass or goes for a swim. Probably still swallows a bit but dosent seem to bother them at all

Awesome litte characters, mine knows the sound of a cricket tub opening and comes out nearly standing on his back legs begging! its so cool, he enjoys the odd silkworm and mealworn too but mainly crickets

They spend their full natural lives in and under sand, they will not get impaction unless you use quickset concrete dust ;)

Hmmm im not sure if i should be worried but he has only eaten 1 cricket the past 2 days :( Im unsure if hes not happy or anything.. I dont heat him at all becase it gets to mid 20s during the day and at the lowest 15 during nights. Hes got sand and water and the crickets are not big? they are a little smaller than his head.. Im getting abit worried because he isnt eating and i dont want him to get sick because hes so loveable and i dont want to be doing something wrong and that to be the death of him =(

Last edited:
Bah everyone should get one !! lol so when i have a question there is more than 5 people on to help me haha :D:D:D

Just to let you know. Can't get them in Victoria! You can only have the narrow banded sand swimmer (Eremiascincus fasciolatus) at about $100 each.

well not the responce i expected or wanted ;) But yeah they are awesome pets lol not touchy feely BUT they are very awesome and i totally agree with the statement 'they are like monitors of the skink world' Shame for you victorians haha ;P maybe narrows are the same im not sure But yeah I would like some help on this :) I think he ate one of the crickets but hes not eating in the quantity that you said Jason

I say give him time to settle in. Like all animals, let them get used to their new surroundings. Mine didn't eat for a few days either.

Yeah thats what im thinking but as soon as he got home he devoured like 4 crickets and bout the same the next morning then he just stopped so yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back