Broken Hill Herping

Discussion in 'Field Herping and Reptile Studies' started by Barrett, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrett

Barrett Well-Known Member

Hey everyone.

I am making this thread to upload photos of each time I go herping in my local area; Broken Hill.

I had a few good photos from a year ago, though not sure if I made a post for them as my laptop died recently, so lost a few photos.

A few landscape photos from the past couple weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to head out to an area called the living desert, which also contains a site with large sandstone sculptures.
    My main target was to find Egernia stokesii, Pseudechis australis, and Pseudonaja species; non of which I found.

Tiliqua rugosa pair that I found within 1 metre of each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Suspected Pseudechis australis skin
    [​IMG]
    Ctenotus robusta. I tried to get a nice photo of it on the ground, but it shot off like a rocket when I put it down.
    [​IMG]
    This Kangaroo was feeding her joey and she would not move from in front of the car until her joey was finished feeding, which allowed me to get a halfway decent photo of her.
    [​IMG]

I also came across a young goanna towards the end of the day. Though, it heard me before I saw it and it ran away before I got the chance to get a photo.

I decided to head back out to the same location a couple nights later, in the search for nocturnal snakes and geckos.

Started off by finding another Tiliqua rugosa, attempting to hide under a few strands of reed grass.
    [​IMG]

My next find was very exciting for me, as it is one of my target species of gecko.

Nephrurus milii
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly I came across a Pogona vitticeps sleeping in a tree.
    [​IMG]

Will hopefully be heading out within the next couple of days in an attempt to find more gecko species.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Porkbones

Porkbones Well-Known Member

Nice pics.i have only recently heard about broken hill as my brother wants us to do a road trip on bikes there from Brisbane

3. Nephrurus

Nephrurus Very Well-Known Member

Nice work. Your regius is a robusta though.

-H

4. Lydia_B

Lydia_B New Member

Captive snake needed for filming in Broken Hill area

Hi,
    I am looking for someone that lives in the Broken Hill area (or surrounding towns eg Mildura), that has captive snakes that we could use for filming for a wildlife series in late November/December. Please do get in touch if this is something that you can help with! Many thanks
    Lydia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.