Brown snake with black head??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpayne

Reaction score
Hi - I recently come across this snake and originally thought it was a copperhead but now I'm not so sure. It was approx 25cm long and in the Rylstone area of NSW.
I've heard baby brown snakes can sometimes have a black head as well.
Can anyone tell me what it was?

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 585
Parasuta Dwyeri, Dwyers Snake, the body shape and shape of the head are different to baby browns. They are mildly venomous and usually cause no worse than a bee sting.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

Parasuta Dwyeri, Dwyers Snake, the body shape and shape of the head are different to baby browns. They are mildly venomous and usually cause no worse than a bee sting.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

thanks for that!!

I agree with Jase's ID on this, although more correctly it's Parasuta spectabilis dwyeri.

The small eyes of this specimen and lack of a black nuchal patch effectively eliminate the Eastern Brown Snake (the young of which also tend to be banded in this area).
Highland Copperheads tend to be darker and small ones have a vertebral stripe. Copperheads also have relatively large eyes, especially on small/young ones such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back