Brown Tree Snake Could Mean Guam Will Lose More Than Its Birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published: 08-Aug-08 02:00 PM
Source: ScienceDaily

Brown tree snakes have come to embody the bad things that can happen when invasive species show up where they have few predators. But new research suggests that indirect impacts might be even farther reaching, possibly changing tree distributions and altering already damaged ecosystems.

Read More...

Brown tree snake

Do the authorities ever consider snake cull?
As much as i love snakes, in Guam they are feral, and deserve as much the same treatment as I consider the ferals here in aus.
Guam is (unfortunatly) a lesson in how a delicate environment is so easily upset by the introduction of non-native species. It is in no way different to Australia or any other country, just smaller so the effects are more quickly diagnosed.
The environment is a delicate web of natural balance where every plant and animal plays a part. The small effects the large and the large effects the small.

i saw the doco on those brown tree snakes,causing havoc in guam
bunch of hoolagins lol

Do the authorities ever consider snake cull?
As much as i love snakes, in Guam they are feral, and deserve as much the same treatment as I consider the ferals here in aus.
Guam is (unfortunatly) a lesson in how a delicate environment is so easily upset by the introduction of non-native species. It is in no way different to Australia or any other country, just smaller so the effects are more quickly diagnosed.
The environment is a delicate web of natural balance where every plant and animal plays a part. The small effects the large and the large effects the small.
Im pretty sure their wildlife department has guy's driving around at night with spotlight's looking for them along chainlink fences etc and capturing them.

Im pretty sure their wildlife department has guy's driving around at night with spotlight's looking for them along chainlink fences etc and capturing them.

It would be like dismantling a hay stack one straw at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back