Brown white lips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My white lipped tree frogs are brown, they have always been brown or 'bronze' which i hate! how do i turn them green? they turn green at certain times but never fully bright green, i feed them 2 crickets most night each, they are just over 2 years old. heat is usually at a constant 24 degrees and they did use to have brown spots on them but they have now mostly grown out of it!, HOW DO I TURN THEM GREEN!? thanks

Do you have them under UV light a little bit a day? That brings out their natural colour, but frogs have genetics if they are brown, they are brown.

Yes i have them under a 5.0 UVB light from 8:30 in the morning till 12 in the day

any green vegetation in enclosure?

This would help. When I had white lips I found that they would change to a brown colour due to it being cooler or their something in their environment. Post a pic of the enclosure.

Yes here are some picture of the enclosure and the frogs, most were from last summer, and i have changed the setup since. the green one in the pics was the only one to ever go green but he did escape once in the house and he hasnt gone green since, btw there is i think two boys and one girl. because the males croak and the other one dosent.. however she is smaller... and i did think the females are suppose to be larger . 1939.jpg1940.jpg1942.jpg1938.jpg

Some just stay brown... otherwise they tend to be lighter when they're nice and warm. foliage helps too, as has been mentioned

As mentioned earlier I have always found them to brown when cool and not as much cover. Up the heat and I think you may find they change.

I once heard that if they don't have a natural cycle regarding light (no light after sunset) then it can impact their colour. So if they are in an area where there are lights on a lot of the time around them it could do something. but i have no idea whether there is any truth to this though :p a little research will tell you though. Although i'm pretty sure that they haven't figured out exactly how to keep them green and all the variables involved in doing this as a few things have an impact.

That could be true 'sanna' as they are in the main living room which usually has lights on and people around!, and
'butters' that sounds about right too, would a 100w basking globe be sufficient?

- - - Updated - - -

also everyone, could it be humidity? i do spray them at night when i feed them...

Chances are, your frogs are just brown. There are many variations of green in White Lipped Tree frogs and many are a dark olive colour such as yours.

Placing some greenery in their tanks will only help so much, the best thing you can do is keep them warm, happy and love them. It doesn't matter what colour they are.

Chances are, your frogs are just brown. There are many variations of green in White Lipped Tree frogs and many are a dark olive colour such as yours.

Placing some greenery in their tanks will only help so much, the best thing you can do is keep them warm, happy and love them. It doesn't matter what colour they are.

thanks sarah, will do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back