brutus the freshwater croc and set up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
most captive freshies don't go past 5 feet , especially if they were kept in a tank for the first part of their life. even at 5 feet a freshy can still twist your hand off if you are not careful.

I worked at broome crocodile park and at wyndham crocodile farm in wa for quite a few years we had a lot of "pets' handed in they never reached the same lengths as the farm raised and the wild caught animals.
and where have u herd or see this info , as i am quite interested to hear more .

I worked at broome crocodile park and at wyndham crocodile farm in wa for quite a few years we had a lot of "pets' handed in they never reached the same lengths as the farm raised and the wild caught animals.
was that due to the wrong size tank, or just because they were in tanks - rather then something much bigger ?

Not arguing here, I am interested as I haven't heard of this before and know of zoological facilities that raise juveniles in aquariums.

I know of growth deformities from fish tanks such as the jaws growing upwards in a concave shape, but haven't heard of stunting occurring.

Is it possible the stunting was the result of poor nutrition/energy intake or husbandry?

was that due to the wrong size tank, or just because they were in tanks - rather then something much bigger ?
The water quality is the major factor , most home keepers use biological filtration which even if completely outsized for the set up can't cope with a crocodile dump , in most farms/ parks that i am aware of use natural water source as a flow through or large scale mechanical filter with chlorination. yes chlorination.

Last edited:
One guy I know uses a sump filter with an extra section that has filter feeders in there (fresh water clams/ shrimp and plants) they clean the water well as does the amount to bio mass he uses

One guy I know uses a sump filter with an extra section that has filter feeders in there (fresh water clams/ shrimp and plants) they clean the water well as does the amount to bio mass he uses
If you coupled that with a filter off your tap water and constant drip system with an over flow on the sump you would never have to change water.

Yeah he doesn't have to change water oftern alot of people think it's about high water volume through the filter but it's about balancing the system correctly If I remember correctly the section of sump was about 3ft x 3ft x 1.5ft high I think he had 10 shrimp and 12 clams in there on a sand type gravel with alot of plants over 3/4 full went from there into about the same size sump with wool and ceramic balls then uv filter before being pumped back to tank

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back