Bunnings substrate

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by spookynoodle, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spookynoodle

spookynoodle Not so new Member

What do you guys use as substrate from Bunnings? Pet stores are too expensive for my tastes.
    I'm currently using sugar cane mulch my Blueys, which I air out 2-3 days before use, but I'm changing their substrate next week.
    I really wanna use dirt, but I'm worried about it being treated and having chemicals.

2. Ella C

Ella C Active Member

For what animal? For my frogs, I use a mix of coir peat, sphagnum moss and sand. It stays fluffy and doesn't get soggy.

3. TheRamiRocketMan

TheRamiRocketMan Not so new Member

I hear you. I've found it impossible to find soil without any additives in it. Finding stuff without pesticides is easy enough, but virtually everything has fertilizer in it. Even sand and soil mixtures contain composted material.
    Why do you want to use dirt for blue tongues anyway? I think they'd find it easier to burrow in sugar cane mulch.

4. spookynoodle

spookynoodle Not so new Member

Yeah, it sucks. I might just end up using some soil from my garden.
    I wanted to use it as like, a bottom layer (with a few inches of mulch on top so that they can happily burrow) so I can experiment with bioactivity and plants!

5. TheRamiRocketMan

TheRamiRocketMan Not so new Member

Hmm, bioactive means you'll need the bacteria and fungus that plants rely on. The plants you buy come with a bit of soil and they'll have fertilizer in them. Since you can't avoid it, I'd just go with a soil of lowest fertilizer content you can get. Since you're going with multiple layers exposure should be minimal.

I wouldn't use mulch since its quite sharp and could hurt your lizard's eyes. I've had bad experience with it. Maybe try coconut fiber or stick with the sugar cane for the upper layer.

6. Flaviemys purvisi

Flaviemys purvisi Donator Donator

I don't keep blueys but if I did I'd probably use aspen. Several people I know keep them and swear aspen is the best substrate for a bluey's enclosure.

7. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Donator Donator

Our Eastern Blueys have wood chips ( red gum lately) and the Northerns have red sand. Aspen or Chipsi for the pythons

8. cris

cris Almost Legendary

Dirt leaf litter from the backyard? I don't think growing plants is going to work well, unless you grow edible plants that are constantly being replaced.

dragonlover1 and Bl69aze like this.
  9. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Can’t beat leaf litter, gives them heaps of stuff to hide in and looks nice (depending on the quality of leaves) just give it a quick shake for potential rubbish/ big buggies

10. cris

cris Almost Legendary

Also if you are worried about it not being sterile or something like that, you can freeze or bake it. I freeze leaf litter I use in the roach tubs for this reason.

Bl69aze likes this.
  11. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Not so new Member

@Bl69aze @cris

Re: leaf litter for BTLs, you just mean gum leaf litter right?

12. cris

cris Almost Legendary

That is fine, pretty much anything is good. I mostly use bamboo, gum, fig, random, leaves and even a bit of lawn clippings mixed in won't hurt. Bamboo is probably the best if you want to grow plants in the enclosure. As far as for reptiles just avoid things that might be toxic, I have heard tea tree is toxic for snakes, but it doesn't really make substantial leaves anyway.

AnthonyL likes this.
  13. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Donator Donator

Leaf litter for roaches ? something I've not heard of. My roach tubs are just bare plastic till the roaches make their own litter.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Nov 16, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 16, 2018 ---
    Tee tree is very pungent ,all aromatic plants should be avoided for snakes this is why we import aspen instead of using pine shavings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.