Burns or stuck shed???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
So my diamond shed a few days ago, and when I got him out recently I noticed this patch of about 4 scales are are completely hard and dry to the touch, almost like a burn, but there is a cage around the lamp so I have no idea how he could of done it.
There isn't any discharge or blood, they are just hard and wrinkled, It's nothing like i've seen before. Any ideas on how to help it? Should I soak him and see if it helps?
:sorry for the horrible photo quality, my camera is ancient"
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought at first, but the light cage's mesh is way too small for that chuck of his tail to get in there. And the ends are too blunt to do any real damage lol.

Because of the location of the injury (which is minor), it may be that the animal has gripped something sharp or rough enough to abrade the skin, either in its enclosure or when being handled. You know the way they hang on to things with their tails - if there is a bit of pulling pressure (wouldn't take much) it could scratch the skin. It will repair fully after a shed or two, but just keep an eye on the tail when it sheds - the shed skin might tear at the injury site and leave the remainder on the tail behind the wound. If this happens, you should soak the snake for an hour or two and carefully remove the remaining skin, making sure the wound is clean and dry if it is still scabby.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back