Burrowing Arachnid ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this sucker? We have had burrows appear in the lawn and these things are in them. At first I thought they might be northern funnel webs but the pattern and tail is all wrong. They certainly have a set of fangs on them.

P1240003_zps6ab8e988.jpg

P1240004_zpsdd0f8ae2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Think we've found it. Appears to be a wolf spider, although the neighbour thought it was to big and not thin enough but it matches the pictures we've found online.

With about a dozen burrows in the garden this one is about the average size of the adults inhabiting about half of them. I'm not keen on having them around with my kids in bare feet given the images of wolf spider bites I've seen.

We have lived here for 10 years and never had them around before.

With about a dozen burrows in the garden this one is about the average size of the adults inhabiting about half of them. I'm not keen on having them around with my kids in bare feet given the images of wolf spider bites I've seen.

Just did a quick google search and saw no such thing. Everything I found listed them as creating mild localised pain and maybe some itching.
Are you thinking of the US wolf spiders? Apparently those are a little bit "worse".

Wolf spiders are definitely nothing to worry about. being nocturnal, your kids shouldn't even come across them unless they are sticking their fingers in their burrows or running around at night.

Local pain and some swelling is about the gist from these. Treat with ice or stingose.
Be wary of any ellergic reactions. Generally considered harmless but the local pain may be from the size of the fangs more so then venom.

Cheers all. BTW they seemed pretty active at the mouths of their burrows throughout the day as that was how they came to my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back