Busy few days - some advice needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camcamcam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, well early yesterday morning I noticed my beardie wasn't eating, wasn't very alert and actually very lethargic.

I picked him up, he was warm but then I felt his stomach, huge lump..instantly I thought something was wrong, so I went through a sheet which lists common problems for beardies, I found 'Impaction of the Digestive Tract', I instantly thought it was that, as his vent was very inflamed and he hadn't passed yet and didn't the day before.

So that day, I took him off to my vet that I volunteer for, spent a good hour with him, I was right, it was an impaction of the digestive tract, I'm fairly sure it was because of mealworms, there wasn't anything in the tank that I noticed he could have eaten that would cause this.

So in the morning yesterday when I took him to the vet, we instantly gave him some Calcium gluconate diluted to boost him a bit, then got a syringe of lubricate and injected it up his vent - it really worked! I continued that 3 times a day and last night the last time I done it and gave him warm bath a bit of poo came out so I was happy, but then I put him in the tank and I guess the heat helped him heaps and he done a massive poo.

He still has a bit of a lump, if it doesn't pass within a few more days then he might have to be put down. :( :(

But anyway, where I'm going with this, I asked my Vet about giving him some Vitamin C orally (as it's used heaps as a broad spectrum boost for all animals) He just said yeah go for it, but I don't really know HOW much to dilute, I tried calling him, but he didn't answer his phone, I also tried a few after hours vets - but they won't tell you over the phone they will want your $$$.

So does anyone here know (or is anyone here a vet) that could let me know how much Vitamin C Powder I should dilute to give to him orally?

You would give a child under 12 2.0grams to a cup of water, so I was going to go less then that.
And anyone else ever experienced this before? Have any tips?

Cheers everyone.

Its not a common treatment for beardies which is probably why the vets won't tell you a dose over the phone. Be very careful as it is not a benign substance - too big a dose with cause renal damage with stone formation with lower doses causing gastrointestinal upset and diarrhoea. The calcium boost he was given is probably more helpful as low calcium levels can contribute to decreased gut motility and functional obstruction. However the prime culprit is likely the mealworms which should pass with continued treatment seeing as you have already had a partial result.

Sweet, thanks for your advice Tsubakai.
Have you experienced this before?
Or what sources are you getting this from if you don't mind me asking.

you shouldnt have to put him down if he doesnt pass it! if it is a good vet he she should be able to do surgery to remove the mass.
good luck hope he gets better

He also has a bad back problem from birth, the vet I got him from obviously wasn't aware of how bad his spine was, but im trying everything, he's getting a bit better, slowly, more alert today, holding his head up more etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back