buy or build an incubator?

Discussion in 'DIY Zone' started by ThatGuy, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trimeresurus

Trimeresurus Guest

Yeah I use those sizes, big snakes use big hides. You can get smaller 'baby broccoli' boxes also for jungles ect.

2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Not so new Member

do you grout them to make them look good? or just cut an entrance and pop'em in?

3. Senator358

Senator358 Well-Known Member

You can get 2kg, 5kg and 10kg boxes of broccoli. You probably thinking of the 10kg.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. AllThingsReptile

AllThingsReptile Very Well-Known Member

When my Beardies unexpectedly had a clutch of eggs a few years back, i quickly threw together a Foam esky, heat mat and thermostat and hatched 12 out of 14 from memory

5. Trimeresurus

Trimeresurus Guest

Cut an entrance. The snakes don't care what they look like.

6. ronhalling

ronhalling Very Well-Known Member

Iffen you really wanted to use foam boxes for hides just go to any pathology lab and ask if they have some out of service "6" pack size foam boxes, i suppose they could also be used in an incubator for extra temp control :) ..................................Ron

7. Blazed

Blazed Not so new Member

This might be a dumb question but is there any particular wattage of heat chord you use and would it alter with the size of the fridge?

8. RedFox

RedFox Very Well-Known Member

With heat cords the longer it is the higher the wattage. To control temp you change the distance between the zig zags. So with a bigger box you would need a longer heat cord with a smaller box you would need a shorter heat cord to ensure there isn't too much excess cord that could turn it into a kiln if the thermostat fail.

9. i used an esky, heat cord and $11 thermostat and had 100% success rate last year. Also had a $1 digital temp probe just because i was concerned about the thermostat

10. J.ghalioum

J.ghalioum New Member

Hi if you are looking at building your own incubator i would look into refurbishing an old commercial fridge shell, the shells are insulated , food grade on the intererior for ease of cleaning and color bonded exterior, depending on the units condition it may come with the fluorescent light fixture and thermostat holder installed. Have a look at some of the units i have for sale and we may be able to work something out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.