Buying from a reptile expo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a look and it seems there is a bunch of reptile expo's right around the time I will be ready to get my first python. Just wondering how one goes about buying at these things? I'm assuming you would need proof of license?

Also how does it work buying from outside of your own state? The closest one to me is in Melbourne (even though I'm in NSW) - would I be able to purchase something there or can you only buy from NSW?

Cheers

I would imagine you’d need to arrange with the vendor to ship it to your home state, as it would require an import permit to NSW and an export permit from Victoria. Depending what species it is will dictate whether you need a wildlife permit or not, I don’t know anything about classes/schedules in NSW.

You will need to get a NSW import licence online once you have the details of the animal you are purchasing
Does this mean I wouldn't be able to take it home on the day?

Alternatively does anyone know of breeders/sellers of Stimson's in the Riverina area?

Hi all,

I've had a look and it seems there is a bunch of reptile expo's right around the time I will be ready to get my first python. Just wondering how one goes about buying at these things? I'm assuming you would need proof of license?

Also how does it work buying from outside of your own state? The closest one to me is in Melbourne (even though I'm in NSW) - would I be able to purchase something there or can you only buy from NSW?

Cheers

You might want to talk to a few breeders in Melbourne who are breeding animals of interest before the show.
I only say this because in Vic there is a bit of red tape to get through. You could collect on the day but I doubt it will happen if you rock up unannounced and expect to take an animal you just happened to see. (Export permits undertaken currently take about a week to process)
I remember a Vic breeder taking animals to the Adelaide show a couple of years ago. It was permitted under licence and they were allowed to sell there but they had to jump through hoops.

You might want to talk to a few breeders in Melbourne who are breeding animals of interest before the show.
I only say this because in Vic there is a bit of red tape to get through. You could collect on the day but I doubt it will happen if you rock up unannounced and expect to take an animal you just happened to see. (Export permits undertaken currently take about a week to process)
I remember a Vic breeder taking animals to the Adelaide show a couple of years ago. It was permitted under licence and they were allowed to sell there but they had to jump through hoops.
Great info thanks. Will contact some people closer to the date. Anyone in particular?

Well, there will be plenty of expos in NSW early next year (Feb - March). For example the Illawarra Expo and the Castle Hill Expo.

Well, there will be plenty of expos in NSW early next year (Feb - March). For example the Illawarra Expo and the Castle Hill Expo.

This. OP might like to plan a weekend trip that coincides with the Illawarra expo. Plenty of other things to do/see as well.

This. OP might like to plan a weekend trip that coincides with the Illawarra expo. Plenty of other things to do/see as well.
I could make that work

Do you know how much I might expect to pay for a Stimmie hatchling?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back