Cacophis breeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croc_hunter_penny

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any cacophis species in captive collections or being bred anywhere in Australia?

I'm particularly interested in cacophis kreffti or Southern Dwarf Crowned Snake. It is probably one of the only elapid species I wish to own (in the foreseeable future) so I don't want to go through all the trouble of acquiring a restricted licence if I can't even get one.

I was told by EcoAccess today that I could keep one on my recreational licence, but we all know that everyone in the EPA has a slightly different idea of what we can and cannot keep. The bloke even said "no elapids on a recreational licence" to which I replied that I could not see cacophis sp. in any restricted lists, which he then put me on hold to find that I actually can keep them because they are deemed harmless and are common in the wild. :rolleyes:

Either way, there is no point pursuing the licencing if they don't exist in captive collections, so if anyone has even heard a whisper I would appreciate it if they let me know.

-Penny

You've got practically no chance of finding one on the books. There's probably hundred's held illegally though.

Although they are a beautiful snake, their secretive nature and lizard-only diet makes them rather boring, high maintenance captives. The same could be said for most small nocturnal elapids. I've kept Red-naped Snakes and Golden-crowned Snakes, and i can tell you their appeal wears off quite quickly once you have them in your collection.

Once they are settled do you actually see them foraging at night etc?

Occasionally you would see them out, normally just sitting in the warmest part of the cage. I kept Suta dwyeri as well, they were pretty good and i'd often find them out and about. They would take skinks from my fingers too... i might have to retract my statement now, thinking about them has made me want them again!

Yeah from that description they sound more interesting than pythons... although it was really a loaded question, as i may or may not have kept them when i was younger ;)
Im hoping to get some orange naped snakes or marsh snakes in the future(whenever i can find some legally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back