Cage heating recommendations?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb1991

Reaction score
I have a Reptile One Viv that is 60X60X90. It has glass front doors and a mesh top that i keep covered with a ceramic tile. I have a heat mat on the bottom with a pulse thermostat between 2 tiles with a hide on top that sits between 30-34. I have 150w purple globe from the roof connected to a dimming thermostat. Is the 150w globe overkill and could i swap to a red 80w par38 spot globe from bunnings?

Does this setup seem alright for a MD till i make a bigger enclosure?

I don’t think u need the globe at all and it’s just to be fancy.

I’ve never looked after a MD so couldn’t 100% tell you, so wait for someone else.

Sorry I should have stated I use the globe to make a basking point on the branches I have in there.

Here is a photo of the setup.

IMAG0991.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What temps are you getting, under the heat, and at the bottom? I would think you don't need both the heat mat and the globe. I'd ditch the mat if you can get a good temp gradient with the globe.

The branch underneath sits around 30-34. The top of the walls range from 35-27 across the back from left to right. Bottom is around 23-26. The heat mat is only 5w and literally only warms directly above it. Would I be better off just using a lower wattage spot globe and keeping my basking point at 32-35?

I would ditch the mat and globe and just get a ceramic heat emitter so you are getting heat and a basking spot with one source unless you just like buying globes.
Globes are for appearance and not necessary for snakes.

I would ditch the mat and globe and just get a ceramic heat emitter so you are getting heat and a basking spot with one source unless you just like buying globes.
Globes are for appearance and not necessary for snakes.

Thanks for the reply. What size CHE would you recommend for the side of the enclosure?

Thanks for the reply. What size CHE would you recommend for the side of the enclosure?
You can use any size and your thermostat will control it but high wattage like 150w is a risk if your thermostat dies and leaves the heat on, you can cook your snake in a small enclosure so probably 75w will be enough, I use 100w in some similar size enclosures.

You can use any size and your thermostat will control it but high wattage like 150w is a risk if your thermostat dies and leaves the heat on, you can cook your snake in a small enclosure so probably 75w will be enough, I use 100w in some similar size enclosures.

Thanks again for the quick response! I'll go the 75w and see how that goes.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back