Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waikare

Reaction score
Hi guys was just wondering what you guys think the mimimum cage size would be for a adult olive, my hatchie is about to turn 1 and boys is she growing fast.

Adults grow huge- are you sure at 1 yr old you want to put him in an adult sized enclosure ?

Suppose it depends on her size; what is she now ?

As far as an adult goes- you are going to need at LEAST 6 x 2 x 2 ft. And a nice big hide she can coil inside without any bits hanging out.

To house one adult Olive Python l myself would house it in a enclosure that is, 4 foot long - 2 foot high - 2 foot deep, my enclosures that l keep 2 Olive Python in each of are, 4 foot long - 2 foot high - 2 foot deep, it has one hide box on the floor at the hot end, and one hide box is built into the enclosure above right and l can access it from the right side of the enclosure if need be.

Last edited:
thanks guys honest pirate i was just wondering as i was offered a 1300 x 600 x 400 for cheap so was just wondering if this would be big enough for her later on thats all.

The rule of thumb-Minumin cage lenght is 2/3 of the python fully stretched. That can be hard though if your snake grows to 10feet but generally speaking

We've got an adult in 6x3x2 and she does well. Couldn't tell you her total size but she's probably 10-13 years old and a fair stomper of a snake.

lucky i got a few years till i have to make a big cage

snakefarmer 280308 009.jpgWhat I do is put it in a 4 foot cage and then in a year or so add another 4 foot cage with no heating which becomes the cool end. The two are joined with a porthole and a sliding door so you can lock the snake in either cage if you wish.The square hole you can see in the picture is the porthole which the snake uses to pass from the hot cage to the cold cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I do is put it in a 4 foot cage and then in a year or so add another 4 foot cage with no heating which becomes the cool end. The two are joined with a porthole and a sliding door so you can lock the snake in eityher cage if you wish..

I like this idea. I was considering building a huge enclosure for my womas, but moving it would be another problem. Your method has other advantages too, in that they could be re-arranged and used as smaller units if required. Simple yet effective.

I think 4 ft x 2 x2 is to small for an adult olive[/QUOTE]

Olay89, Just for one adult Olive Python, you sure can keep 1 inside a enclosure based on the measurements l mention in my post.

l myself have kept 2 adult Olive Python's in my enclosures you can see in the photos for years without any trouble what so ever, as long as you remember to seperate them both at feed time there should be know trouble, in keeping 1 or 2 in a enclosure that is 4 foot long - 2 foot high - 2 foot deep.

One other thing out in the wild they don't live in hollows logs or burrows that a quite big or spaces, they instead look for logs or burrows that they can squeeze into so they feel 100% secure why they are resting.

Last edited:
A 6x3x2 (LxWxH) will be fine for most adult Olives.
As a rule for enclosure size, the length should be half the length of the snake, and the width should be a quarter of the length of the snake.
Perfect for an adult Olive as most will end up being about 11-12ft long.

wokka thats a bloody brillant idea mate

reptilian1924 how old are you olives mate

Last edited:
Waikare,
the 2 adult Olive Python's you see here in my photos, the female which is the largest one was born in December 1999, the male which is slightly smaller in size was born in December 2000.

l no-longer have these 2 awesome adult Olive Python's, they were both sold to another breeder in Sydney in June 2009, l now have 2 male and 2 female Olive Python's, that l got in August 2010, 1 pair was born in December 2009 in captivity, the other 2 slightly larger pair were collected on permit from the wild in late 2009, they were both 1 year old when collected from the wild on permit, so they would have been born out in the wild in late 2008.

I'm getting myself a lovely little olive yearling and I've heard 6x2x2 is a minimum size for an adult to live comfortably, although anything over 6x3x3 would make for a very happy fully-grown olive.

Question: how much would an olive use height? If I had a 3 ft high enclosure would she use it or would it be wasted space? Might add some perches/ledges or something...

And Wokka, love that idea as well. I was contemplating getting a 4 or 5 ft long cage for 2-3 years, then transferring the olive to a larger one and use the small for a carpet or woma; simply adding another couple of feet to the end of it makes life sooo much easier.

StellaDoore, if you view my photos carefully you will see that my Olive Python's, do make the most of the height of my enclosure by climing about the tree branches l have installed inside their enclosure.

My Olive Python's always climb allover my furniture in my loungroom when out roaming around my place when ever l let them out to roam freely, this just goes to show they don't just live on the ground they do enjoy climing about things just like Carpet or Diamond Python's do.

So l think in providing it with some extra height would give your Olive more room to move about as long as you install a tree branch or 2.

If you dont have the 8 foot length necessary to accommodate 2 x 4foot cages you can stack them using the same system of porthole in the floor and roof to allow access between cages. My cage banks are 4 foot wide by 6.5 foot high ( so they still go through the average door) with six shelves. They can be configured 6 high, as individual 4 foot cages or; with all the portholes open as 1 x 24 foot cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks everyone at 1yrs old and over 1metre i wil get the biggest cage i can find

If ur happy with ur cages reptilian go nuts but is there enough room in a 4 ft enclosure for a large olive python to be able to regulate there temps ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back