Cairns Meet - 09...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem everyone goes to bed in Mt Suprise pretty early, we only just managed to score dinner from the Pub at 7pm.... the weather turned up a notch whilst there with a massive storm and it didn't look good.. but it finished as quick as it came and we headed off to check what we could find... 1k out of town and a keel back was out looking for dinner
Keelback.jpg

frogs were everywhere so he wasn't going to go long without a feed, Ornatus were common, both in slow and fast variations
Ornate1.jpg

Ornate.jpg

but I was happy to find some novaehollandiae
novaehollandiae.jpg

novaehollandiae1.jpg

it pays not to run over every toad!

It took me a few seconds to get your "slow and fast variations" line...

Stewart

other common frogs were seen, like this old man green
Greeny.jpg

and Spotted grass frogs...which had me a little confused for a bit as they look different down my way...
tasmaniensis.jpg

any of you frog nerds care to tell me what this little tacker is??? save me pulling the books apart.

z-3.jpg

Oooooh this thread is getting exciting... I'm looking forward to what comes next :p

Was great to have you here matey - anytime!

A large spider
zz-3.jpg

and some other dribs and drabs, like a intergrade stim ( Oh I can see someone screaming about calling it that)
zzz-1.jpg

zzzz.jpg

and a little BTS
zzzzz.jpg

zzzzzz.jpg

Anyhow, Mt Suprise was pretty good, seeing one of the crew drink a little too much was pretty funny, but sleeping in a swag on a hot rainy night with 10 billion mossies was neither good nor funny, worse nights sleep I can remember.....anyhow, the trip back was pretty quiet, bar a mystery agamid ( likely a frilly) darting into the bush, and a small Diporiphora sitting on his termite castle, that he refused to move off no matter what.
yyyyy-1.jpg

Anyhows.... we moved out of Magpies place to take over Slim6y's house for a few days, he has a crap view around his house, that can be a bit harsh if your not used to it.

yy-1.jpg

yyy-1.jpg

One of the "Guest's" decided to do some decorating for him
y-1.jpg

So one night whilst we were all taking serious measures not to become dehydrated his daughter screamed Snake!!!, It was a rather large BTS that seemingly resides in his roof.
xxxx-1.jpg

xxxxx.jpg

GOD DAMN!! Why the hell did I miss this trip.

This is loads compaired to what we got last year.

Always happens!

I'm so sick of my view too :)

Haha... when paige yells out SNAKE... I think we all thought she was talking about my coastal... NO REALLY A REAL SNAKE!!! That was when we believed her - maybe???

She still asks how come I don't pay her for finding frogs now?

Hmmmmm...

The BTS looks great in that photo - though the colour doesn't do it any justice, what an amazingly unusual coloured BTS - and quite friendly too - didn't try to snap once!

Those tube nosed bats are nothing less than absolutely BALLTEARING...

Otherwise all very nice... I'm very sorry I didn't go out, but when you're generally unemployed, you've got to take work when you can get it. :(

-H

Jason forgot to mention, we also saw a nothern quoll. It was soooo cute.

I'm so sick of my view too :)

She still asks how come I don't pay her for finding frogs now?

The BTS looks great in that photo - though the colour doesn't do it any justice, what an amazingly unusual coloured BTS - and quite friendly too - didn't try to snap once!

Money is the way to a womens heart, no matter how old.
My photo's didn't show up the writhing worm load just under it's skin ;)... I think it was so old it had passed being angry some time back... but just as well, as our reflex's weren't as sharp that night.

Well anyway..time went on and it wasn't looking good for finding a scrubby, I was down to my last night there and wanted to find some worthwhile critters...so I decided to head up to Cape Trib for a look - see, as I was up there a couple of years back and found quite alot. We all slept in a bit...OK, I didn't but the others...............;), so we headed off a bit late and didn't get up there till the arvo... still had enough time to find a pair of Eulamprus tigrinus
xy.jpg

and another frog if someone knows what it is please tell, it was in a salty mangrove area, living amonst the crabs, a couple of seconds after the pic was taken it jumped, croaked and pissed all at once, thus we called it the "exploding frog"
yz.jpg

scenery pic
zx.jpg

we drove back after dark and saw squat on the road through cape trib, but soon after crossing the Daintree river we went passed a BTS on the road
zzx.jpg

I parked the car and almost went over a juv water python
zzy.jpg

which was great for me, I hadn't even thought of finding a water python, so we were all pretty happy at that stage, also took a few more frog pics whilst stopped..L. nasuta
xz.jpg

We were all pretty happy with how the night went and was heading for home ( slim6y's anyway)..when Jordan wanted to check out another road..so we did, 200meters up, coming out of a cane field we found this
zzxy.jpg

xzz.jpg

now, at first we thought is was a scubby, but clearly not, as this sign a Cape Trib show's ;)...must just be one of those giant carpets hey.
xxy.jpg

Great photos Jason, I think your frog is an Australian Wood Frog (Hylarana daemeli) ... surprised one would find them in brackish water though.

Aaron

Nice pics mate, those fungi are hot.....not much point me adding to the thread, we pretty much saw all the same critters :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back