Call to release giant Philippine crocodile

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that most people dont understand about most reptiles including crocodilians is that the reason they havent evolved more is that they simply havent had to
Apart from not having opposible thumbs they are nearly perfect
Slow metabolism so rarely need to feed
Waste zero parts of any prey
Require very little by way of housing in the wild
Use sunlight for energy just like a solar panel

Virtually every other creature on Earth spends most of its time arranging food supply
They just rest instead and think reptile thoughts

A Polar Bear may have a better chance because they can dive deep and long
But Id still lay my money on a 6metre croc in the water

Lol it was an Alligator! Come on dude....we all know crocodiles can't survive in upstate new york but Alligators obviously can! Gators are always found in freezing cold climates :rolleyes::rolleyes:

By the way where did you see the croc kill the buffalo? Sounds like an awesome site to see

Nup... it was a crocodile. They explained it in the documentary.

And at Hardy's Lagoon/ Creek, a side branch of the Mary River that can shrink from 30km to 17 km over the Dry season. It's a rich system and the crocs (and the fish) get very concentrated. Good fishing and lots of big fellas on show. Unfortunately the system was massively degraded by overstocking (pastoral lease) in the 90's and there is serious siltation, spots we sounded at 17 meters in the 80's are now 2 meters deep.

I also saw a big saltie spin an XL pig and pull it's head off in a spot close by. It crushed the skull, ate the head and meandered off with no interest in the body.

I wanna see pics of this croc...

You're in the wrong part of the world. That particular croc would probably be dead now, if they're taking buff they're taking cattle and the pastoralists have counter measures. But they're not in short supply up here.

This event was in the 80's and cameras weren't worth carrying in my line of work. They just died.

Read the article and it said nothing about the croc being caught or a rogue etc, seems more like it has always been in captivity and now PETA are saying it should be released!

They are a strange bunch, i think south park had them pegged!

Bad idea releasing it.

These animal rights nuts do realise it's an apex land and marine predator ? (when it sees a person or a kid in or near the water it sees a light snack).

It should either be killed or taken to a croc-farm, it should not be released.

That would be cruel!

Poor nutritional value in PETAs, they don't eat meat and only drink chardennay or spring water. Poor thing would need nutritional suppliments (like an occasional Fox / News reporter or pit bull (.... :evil: couldn't resist) or stray moggy tossed over the fence).

One thing that most people dont understand about most reptiles including crocodilians is that the reason they havent evolved more is that they simply havent had to

Virtually every other creature on Earth spends most of its time arranging food supply

Pitch a 6m esterine croc against a polar bear and my money is on the croc making a meal of the bear.

In Mathewlanguage the word 'Bear' loosely translates to: "Holy Crap that thing is a bloody tank!"
View attachment 217701
It depends on the species of Bear, the individual and of course, the arena of death. In a land based battle I strongly believe that the Bear would win, unless said bear was maybe a small black bear.
In the water the Croc wold most likely win.

But may I ask, why in the hell are we talking about Bear's fighting Croc's?

EDIT: Click on the attachment file thingy, it might still work

Pitch a 6m esterine croc against a polar bear and my money is on the croc making a meal of the bear.

On land through I don't know...Bears are huge animals....Whether that be a polar bear or a brown bear from the Alaskan coast.

Brown Bears from the Alaskan coast can also dive deep to catch salmon( its a tactic that some bears do use to catch salmon)...But polar bears are built for marine life more so than Brown bears( which are built for digging)

I doubt it matters through as both are very outclassed compared to a croc in water.

Come on, I've seen a big saltie drag an adult bull buffalo into the water by the nose, with ease.
No contest.

The crocs ate dinosaurs and outlived them.

I saw a 4m, maybe a lil smaller, croc take an adult horse at Peppimenarti in 2007. It first grabbed it on the face, pulled it down toward the water, changed his grip three times until he had it around the neck and then swam off down river.

I don't think i've ever recovered from the experience! Now i need atleast two cans of courage before i have the guts to put my boat back on the trailer!

I saw a 4m, maybe a lil smaller, croc take an adult horse at Peppimenarti in 2007. It first grabbed it on the face, pulled it down toward the water, changed his grip three times until he had it around the neck and then swam off down river.

I don't think i've ever recovered from the experience! Now i need atleast two cans of courage before i have the guts to put my boat back on the trailer!

What sort of courage are you partial to?

I disagree with releasing it, now that people know it's around it'll be hunted or it'll return to its territory.

the safest place for him now is captivity provided he doesn't start eyeballing the keepers

What sort of courage are you partial to?

I disagree with releasing it, now that people know it's around it'll be hunted or it'll return to its territory.

the safest place for him now is captivity provided he doesn't start eyeballing the keepers

Yeah thats another thing...If they release it( other than the obvious threat to the local people) some ******* would probably just poach it.

So it either gets killed by terrified locals( or kills locals) or some ******* poacher...At least in captivity it can be a source of income for the locals.

To bad crocs find their way back to their original territory..It would be alot easier to relocate and release crocs if they didn't/couldn't do that.

Hope they do theres about 7000 lsands thant make up the philippines so there has to be somewhere they can realese it away from humans
, i would love someone to show me a area their are no humans in the Philippines ,there are even people living in the cemetaries hanging their cloths from tombstone to tombstone, my wife is filipino and ive been their 5 times already if you could see and smell the jet black water you would never want it released again lol, fishermen have to go right out to sea just to catch fish the water is that polluted.
As you fly into the Philippines you can see giant netted off area out at sea this is where most of the countries clean fish come from they are farmed

Bears v Crocs, are you all nuts!! or ancient Romans:rolleyes:......As for the constantly trotted out, salties dragging 1 ton bull buff down to Davie Jones's locker, dream on! Pics or no way......

, i would love someone to show me a area their are no humans in the Philippines ,there are even people living in the cemetaries hanging their cloths from tombstone to tombstone, my wife is filipino and ive been their 5 times already if you could see and smell the jet black water you would never want it released again lol, fishermen have to go right out to sea just to catch fish the water is that polluted.
As you fly into the Philippines you can see giant netted off area out at sea this is where most of the countries clean fish come from they are farmed

Your talking about the rivers being polluted right? Not the surrounding coastal water/ocean?

Is it really that bad? Wow that sucks! I have heard that diving in the Philippines is amazing and its easy to see marine life( but that's obviously in the ocean/coastal waters)...

When I went to Thailand the rivers didn't seem that polluted( but I did only stay in one place and didn't travel far) and of course the beach and diving and coastal waters were absolutely incredible.

Bit of a tug of war in this one.( FFwd to about 1.10) And the voice over reminds me of The Simpson's Mr Sparkle episode! :)

[video=youtube;VGeN0wwC5To]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeN0wwC5To&feature=relmfu[/video]

Your talking about the rivers being polluted right? Not the surrounding coastal water/ocean?

Is it really that bad? Wow that sucks! I have heard that diving in the Philippines is amazing and its easy to see marine life( but that's obviously in the ocean/coastal waters)...

When I went to Thailand the rivers didn't seem that polluted( but I did only stay in one place and didn't travel far) and of course the beach and diving and coastal waters were absolutely incredible.
the area you are talking about is Baroki it has nice water and beaches but as for the area the croc was caught and Manila Bay and surounding water on the caust its black and smelly

Last edited:
Bit of a tug of war in this one.( FFwd to about 1.10) And the voice over reminds me of The Simpson's Mr Sparkle episode! :)

[video=youtube;VGeN0wwC5To]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeN0wwC5To&feature=relmfu[/video]

Love that video Josh, its had some mega hits...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back