Camel Spiders..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've completely had a mind-blank as to the real names of these fellas, but if you Google 'camel spiders' they come up...
Weird to describe.. they look scorpionish minus the claws and tail, they have hairy heads, and huge mouthparts... can we keep them in Australia?

Thats just too freaky
They're HUGE!!!
I dont like spiders especially those ones
But good thread

I recently saw one for the first time, they're awesome little critters! :D

Unfortunately, you can't legally keep them in Australia, but you can't really keep them anywhere - they're nearly impossible to care for. They don't stop moving, and to fuel all that activity they need to eat almost constantly! I don't think anyone has managed to keep them alive for long at all. They'll become skinny very quickly and apparently in some cases will starve to death in a few hours!

Remembered their name: solpugid!
And they aren't actually spiders, as such.
Any ideas anyone?

I recently saw one for the first time, they're awesome little critters! :D

Unfortunately, you can't legally keep them in Australia, but you can't really keep them anywhere - they're nearly impossible to care for. They don't stop moving, and to fuel all that activity they need to eat almost constantly! I don't think anyone has managed to keep them alive for long at all. They'll become skinny very quickly and apparently in some cases will starve to death in a few hours!
Damn! Couldn't you just feed them constantly, and in a huge tank? Although if they have so little fun in capitvity, I wouldn't want to keep one.. great critters though.

Solifugid :) Yes, I'm sure it would be possible to keep them happy if you really wanted to go overboard, but it would be a heck of a task. Either way, it's illegal in Australia.

you sure that info is right sdaji? staving to death in hrs doesnt sound right. They are an arachnid but neither spider nor scorp, i know a few keepers in europe and the US

you sure that info is right sdaji? staving to death in hrs doesnt sound right. They are an arachnid but neither spider nor scorp, i know a few keepers in europe and the US

That's what the Americans told me while I was there recently. I have no doubt that in some conditions at least some species would be able to live at least a few days. Have the people you know had long term success with them?

not sure a few dealers sell them, mostly asian species so mayb a bit more hardy.

I had the pleasure of catching a few of these little fellas, they are attracted to shadows so they always seem like they're trying to chase you, and as silly as it seems you can see them in the dark when light reflects off there eyes when they're close enough. Alot of people also have a big misconception as to how big they are, alot of people saw the email of the Americans holding what looks like a huge camel spider, when in fact it's actually two and the photo was taken close up, none of the ones that we caught or saw were even close to the pictured ones. We never had one die in a few hours, they are bloody quick though and scare the **** out of you when they're on you feet trying to go up your pants.

Solifugid's are a bit scarey looking..........ive got 1 here that i keep in a little sealed tank (must be sealed to keep humidity levels low ) They are hard to keep alive & like someone said they have a huge appetite, although ive never heard of them starving after just a few hours ! (a shrew maybe)
As far as long term success........They have been bred in europe by a german (the young one i have here is from the original pairing)
Not always active....my one hides under its rock allday ! some people claim that they chase you but i would say they are just heading for the shade that your body is casting.......solifugid means : 'fleeing from the sun'

Spiders are freaky enough but those things look worse.
I think I'll keep to reptiles.

Solifugid's are a bit scarey looking..........ive got 1 here that i keep in a little sealed tank (must be sealed to keep humidity levels low ) They are hard to keep alive & like someone said they have a huge appetite, although ive never heard of them starving after just a few hours ! (a shrew maybe)
As far as long term success........They have been bred in europe by a german (the young one i have here is from the original pairing)
Not always active....my one hides under its rock allday ! some people claim that they chase you but i would say they are just heading for the shade that your body is casting.......solifugid means : 'fleeing from the sun'

Cool stuff :) Good to hear someone is getting good results with them. Obviously they won't always starve to death if they don't eat every few hours, but in some conditions at least some species will, presumably the ones which are moving constantly, rather than the ones which are happy to hide all day. Where does the species you're keeping come from?

Yeah as im sure you know Sdaji there's quite a few species and im sure some are more active than others, also i think because of their high metabolism they dont do very well when imported, so i guess by the time they get to the consumer after going through the process they must be near to death anyway, the species i have is a Paragaleodes "sp" (exact specie unknown) from egypt, still quite small at the moment, about 2" dia.
It's apparently going to lose some of its fluffyness as it gets older :(
Sorry this was the best pic so far, once he's out he hardly stops moving around !

are these the same ones from the middle east that eat chunks out of sleeping animals and people?

On the website australis put up their is a freaky video of one taking out a mouse. Scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back