Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaDoore

Reaction score
Right, so basically I have been given the task to calm down a scrub python. He's sitting at around 1.5m at the moment (I've never taken him out for a good look) which is small on the scrub scale, but sizable enough to give a decent bite. I usually wouldn't ask about handling, but for such a large snake and their unique personalities (or so I've heard) I figure it doesn't hurt.

He is the most mental, nasty snake I've ever come across. Honestly, I've never met a snake that was so determined to draw blood.

So my question is: can I calm him down with regular handling? Any tips? I'm especially interested to hear from other scrub python owners.

At the moment I'm too chicken to take him out of his enclosure, but I really don't want to be dealing with a 5m+ agro scrubbie. I've dealt with snappy snakes before, from my nervous little jungle to foodie olives, and have copped a few bites as well (which I like to avoid where possible, although I am quite proud of a food bite from an adult jungle - didn't even flinch, ha ha). What are people's thoughts on gardening/leather gloves paired with a long sleeved jacket? I really want to avoid a bite from this guy as I've seen him in action and he likes to chew.

Thanks for the help guys, very interested to hear different opinions and whether or not I can successfully get this scrubbie to become placid.

You can try!

But many other factors can lead to a grumpy temperament.

I found when I had my smaller coastal in a smaller enclosure she was far more aggressive than when she was moved to a larger enclosure. Though she was always the spawn of Satan no matter what I did (she bit me in the head once too).

Scrubbies, although known for their short temper, aren't always that bad. Temperatures, feeding regimes, hiding spots etc - I am sure all these need to be factored into the equation too.

But if you do it now, while only 1.5m, you're right, the blood drawn will be far less than when the beauty reaches 3m +!

Even a 1.5m scrubby will draw lots of blood. They are constantly alert, even during the day, unlike most pythons, and will bite at every opportunity. not much chance of success...

Jamie

Only thing I can think of would be use golves / hook to get out of cage and into pillow case. Then just handle in the pillow case until it calms down a little. I did this to a mistreated 3m coastal we rescued. After a few months of watching TV with me. She calmed down a lot. Hope this helps.

Scrubbies are very different in their attitude to humans. The pair I have here are ALWAYS alert, at any time of the day when all the other pythons are tucked up and indifferent to the world (except those who LOVE their cuddles and can't wait to fall into my arms :)) and they're always ready for action. They don't like me very much at all - and a lot of the time I don't like them a great deal either (cage cleaning time especially :).

Having said that however, I do believe that the bigger they get, it isn't uncommon for their temperament to mellow somewhat, but I'm talking 4m+, by which time they are big and potentially quite dangerous.

I know Waterrat has made the observation that the wild ones he deals with around Cairns are generally quite mellow, and he suggested it may because we keep them too warm in southern climates - maybe there's something to this. I believe that Brian Barnett had a couple escape from Marbuck Park here in Port Macquarie years ago, and they turned up a couple of years later in good health. They can obviously cope with cooler weather.

But for the most part, temperament is a very individual thing, I don't trust them and I'm not optimistic that they will change. But then I have no interest in turning them into life companions - I like them for what they are - beautiful creatures which just happen to resent a human being in their space - it's their call and I'm happy with that.

Jamie

For what it's worth, I had a largish male come in as a rehab and subsequently bought a hatchling from a well known breeder. I had the hatcho for about a year, handled only when necessary (during cleaning time) and never had a problem (no bites, ect). Though it was alot more "alert" than your average morelia on intiial contact. The wild, relocation animal was very calm when he arrived and remained so until he regained health and began feeding on a regular basis, then the "typical" Scrubbie attitude kicked in. Again, I only handled him when absolutely necessary. "Peter" on APS would be worth contacting. By all accounts he has a very large, handable Scrubbie.

No, don't even try it.
The calm ones are the ones that one day will give you a very nasty surprise. I never had bites from known "terrors", but a few from the "tame" Scrubbies.

Hey,
I have just set myself the same sort of task you have with another scrub python of similar size at the reptile park i work at. When I do go to handle this snake I always put on a long sleeved jumper as well as some welders gloves just to avoid any bites to my hands or arms. To get it out I use a hook then once its I will hold it in my hand to get it used to being held. What I have found is that they are very defensive when first taken out of their enclosure and you have to be very careful with how you move around them at this time. I have had the slightest movement trigger a strike form this snake. After a couple of minutes of staying relatively still around it the snakes behaviour changes into a really curious snake and is happy to go off and explore its surroundings. While it is exploring it's fairly tolerant of being handled and moved around. Hardest part is trying to just get past the first couple of minutes while its defensive.
Also one more tip I found out on Sunday with them is don't look them in the eyes, as soon as you do that their entire focus turns towards your face which is quite dangerous. Even thou I had my arm fully extended and pulled my head back it still struck within 3cm's of my face.
Good luck with trying to tame your down, I reckon that it is possible with enough handling, persistence and blood shed they will calm down.
Cheers Cameron.

Hey everyone!
Thank you all heaps for your responses, I've learnt something from each one.

I've heard a few of the pillow case suggestions so I'm going to try this for a few minutes each day (except after meals, obviously) and then handling with gloves (*cluck cluck*, I know...) and eventually barehanded. As much as I don't want to deal with a psycho scrubbie (I've nicknamed him Jack the Ripper), better now than giant.

Until then, I'm going to check out his enclosure and make sure he has correct temps, lots of hides, and enough room. Will also check out his feeding routine. My olive was very snappy when I bought her home until I got some food into her (previous owners were awful feeding her), now she's amazing. Here's hoping the scrub will have a similar reaction (even just a little bit calmer...).

Thanks again for your help, feel free to keep advice coming, PM me if you don't want to discuss husbandry here. I might get onto Peter, Joemal and some others as they seem to have decent (tame/semi-tame) scrubbies. Looking forward to working with this beautiful animal though, they really are stunning!! I'll post pics if I successfully get around to holding him!

Joemal might have some tips maybe message him and have a chat

Good luck :)

I would try the gloves and hook approach. Also taking the little fella onto the lawn outside (in saying that you can contain it) and just let him explore the grassy backyeard, however keeping ahold or very close in case he decides to make a run.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

The weather is beautifully sunny down this way, I think he'd enjoy a wander on the grass =)

Will start contacting people I know have scrubbies and will try to update our progress. I'll be sure to keep the camera handy so I can chuck up some gruesome pics if he manages to tag me =P

Thanks!

As an earlier respondent suggested, always watch your face & upper body. These snakes are very light in the forebody and have a very long striking range - far longer than any other Australian python. Even a smallish one can easily reach your face from arm's length, they have large, strong and very sharp teeth. Watch your face when opening a pillowcase as well.

I think these are probably relatively intelligent pythons, (and would probably not go near a heater if the owner shouted "NO" loudly enough:), they are always alert and watchful. I can guarantee that both of mine will watch my every move when I'm in their room.

NEVER take them for granted - there has been at least one death in this country credited to a Scrubby.

Jamie

As an earlier respondent suggested, always watch your face & upper body. These snakes are very light in the forebody and have a very long striking range - far longer than any other Australian python. Even a smallish one can easily reach your face from arm's length, they have large, strong and very sharp teeth. Watch your face when opening a pillowcase as well.

NEVER take them for granted - there has been at least one death in this country credited to a Scrubby.

Don't worry, I am going to be so careful with this animal! I've seen him in action and the power and strike range is amazing, even in such a small python! The only other snake I've seen match that strike distance is a rough scaled python.
I'll be keeping a close eye on him and will do my best to keep my face away.
Wish me luck!

Welcome to the real world of scrubbie owners .My girl came to me as a yearling and from the day i opened the bag at the airport to check her out she has made it her mission to relieve me of as much blood as possible .She is still what i consider small (13ft)but as she has grown she has sort of settled down from the nasty bitch to now just a bitch .Yes there are plenty of vids and photos of her looking all nice and friendly but trust me you can never ever trust her .It's 100% on guard when i have her out .I started out handling her with motorbike gloves (shock ,horror to some on here)but at the time they were the only good protection i had .Over time and as she got bigger i went to bare handed and just took the bites till she settled (yep not many places left on the body that hasn't been tagged).At 2 1/2 yrs i had her in a cage with large opening glass doors and i used the shock and awe attack on her .I would use a snake hook to "wake " her then dive in balls and all and wrestle her out of her cage .I never gave her a chance to retaliate and before she knew it she was out of her cage and on the ground outside .I always said i would never build an enclosure where she could get higher than me and what did i do ,build an enclosure where she can get higher than me .My mistake .She now lays along her log above head height just watching and waiting for me to let my guard down .To all the people out there that have a bitey snake just think for one minute what it must be like to have to climb into an enclosure with a fair size snake sitting there above you watching your every move .I had to do this on the weekend and ended up giving up till she went back into her kennel ,yes that's right she has a dog kennel as a hide .You know she is there watching and waiting for you .I will never trust her no matter how placid she may appear to be .Yes there are quiet a few people out there that do have "placid" ones and i congratulate them on that and sometimes i wish my girl was like that but in saying that i would never trade my girls attitude they are an unreal snake to own but should never be treated like other breeds .They are a very smart snake (my opinion) but give them an inch and they will take a mile .The best bet is to handle ,handle ,handle when they are small and if it takes gloves then so be it ,hooks are another way but i found that too much of a drama or you can do like me and just barehand the beast .Lol.

Thank you so much Joemal! And your girl sounds amazing! A handful, but amazing nevertheless.

I'll definitely stay on guard around this animal and I'm hoping I'll be able to at least get to the point where your girl is: reasonably well-behaved, but not 100% trustworthy. Anything better than that is a bonus, ha ha.

I think I'll use gloves for the moment. Not quite as tough as you to go barehanded, especially when he enjoys a good gnaw and chew.

And small at 13ft...yikes, that's incredible. Thanks for your input Joemal, I hope it's okay if I PM you for help over the next few months as I handle this bloke more and more.

Last edited:
Have you got any details on that Jamie? All I could find on google was this > HKRAS Herp News: Professional snake handler killed in S Australian home

There's some information in this thread here: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/close-calls-big-snakes-157169/, particularly on page 3.

She is still what i consider small (13ft)but as she has grown she has sort of settled down from the nasty bitch to now just a bitch.

Small at four metres... ha!

She is AMAZING! Such a jaw-droppingly magnificent snake. If all goes well with my project scubbie, I might have to get one myself (this other one I work with).
I love her enclosure as well, very well done. How long did it take you to make?
You should be very proud of her, Joemal, she is gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back