Can any1 ID 4 me please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kazray

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We found this little guy in our garden the other day. I am assuming it was just a hatchling as we have seen much larger and this 1 was only about 5cm long. We call them Ta Ta lizards as they quite often wave their front foot in the air... But what are they actually called? Was lovely that he hung around long enough for me to photograph then shot of into the garden.

Attachments

• 1110081748-01.jpg
    1110081748-01.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 199
  • 1110081747-01.jpg
    1110081747-01.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 169
Its one of the Tommy Round Heads or Two Lined Dragons, Diporophora

Cheers,
Scott

I agree with Eipper, the animal is from the Diporiphora genus and is most likely the species bilineata, common name the Northern Two Lines dragon. I have these in my own collection and the animal in the picture is identical to mine.

Hello

Hello,

Ah, that is such a cute little lizard! They do not get very large then?

Tracie

Ta Ta lizards are soo cool. they wave BYE BYE then take off. I always tried to catch em as a kid. i did once when it accidently ran into my chook pen then he bit me and got away again hahaha. They so common up North they in every gardin in Darwin just about.

Ta Ta lizards are soo cool. they wave BYE BYE then take off. I always tried to catch em as a kid. i did once when it accidently ran into my chook pen then he bit me and got away again hahaha. They so common up North they in every gardin in Darwin just about.

lol, learn your lesson?

Ta Ta dragons as they are called locally where they occur are generally dragons of the genus lophognathus. There are three species that have all been called Ta Ta's including longirostris, gilberti and temporalis. The dragons commonly called Ta Ta's around the Darwin area are in fact L. tempoalis common name the swampland dragon. They are referred to as Ta Ta's because of the way they actually run on their back legs and wave their front legs around in mid air as they are running away from you.All species of the genus Lophognathus exhibit this behaviour whilst running hence the reason they are all called Ta Ta's where they occur.

The animal in the photo is from the Diporiphora group. This group is not known for running with waving arms such as exists in Lophognathus. There can sometimes be local or endemic names for species that can be confusing such as I encountered recently when I came across a reference to a dragon called a Nobby from up around the Townsville area of North Queensland that when investigated further turned out to be another dragon from the complex Diporiphora, this time the species was australis or the Eastern Two

Ta Ta dragons as they are called locally where they occur are generally dragons of the genus Lophognathus. There are three species that have all been called Ta Ta's including longirostris, gilberti and temporalis. The dragons commonly called Ta Ta's around the Darwin area are in fact L. temporalis common name the swampland dragon. They are referred to as Ta Ta's because of the way they actually run on their back legs and wave their front legs around in mid air as they are running away from you. All species of the genus Lophognathus exhibit this behaviour whilst running hence the reason they are all called Ta Ta's where they occur.

The animal in the photo is from the Diporiphora group. This group is not known for running with waving arms such as exists in Lophognathus. There can sometimes be local or endemic names for species that can be confusing such as I encountered recently when I came across a reference to a dragon called a Nobby from up around the Townsville area of North Queensland that I assumed was the Nobbi dragon, Amphibolurus nobbi. When I investigated further it turned out to be another dragon from the complex Diporiphora, this time the species was australis or the Eastern Two Lined dragon or more commonly the Tommy Roundhead. Evidently these animals are called Nobby's around this area even though the Nobbi dragon's Northern limit to its range is around this area also.

To answer an earlier question about how big do they get, most species in the complex Diporiphora are small slender dragons that grow to sizes between 15 - 25 centimetres, with some individuals growing up to 30 cms total length, tip of snout to end of tail.

Hope this helps everyone

WOW
thanks for all the great replies every1
Im just glad to see lizards starting to come back to our garden. We have seen a dramatic example of dry season burn offs combined with increased cane toad population severly reducing the reptile populations in my area. We have actively prevented our block from being burnt for the last 2 seaseons and try our best to reduce cane toads (fighting a loosing battle me thinks) and try to encourage the native wildlife by keeping our block and gardens as natural as possible and it really does seem to be working.
:D

Hi Kazray

if you can keep fire off your block for several consecutive years you see a big decline in the amount of spear grass and hence a reduced fire risk in future...and an increase in the general diversity of your block.

But good luck trying to keep it fire free...you will need it......pyromaniacs everywhere up there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back