Can anybody help me out with Lord Howe island plants?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
As many of you are aware one of the invertebrate species i am currently working with is the lord howe island phasmid. Due to my involvement with the species i have also became very interested in the flora of the island but most of their natives are very difficult to find on the mainland. I am in contact with the Lord Howe island board to try and obtain plants but wondering if anyone here knows of any places to get them on the mainland? I know the sydney botanic gardens has the Melaleuca howeana so if anyone ever goes there i would love a few cuttings.

I'd offer to get some cuttings from Sydney for you but not sure how much the quarantine authorities would appreciate me bringing them up on the plane

there are 4 palms endemic to LHI..one is everywhere the Kentia paln, Howea fosteriana. the other 3 are far more difficult to come -by. not impossible that in time, i could get some seed for you of the palm Howea belmoriana..i used to have the other 2 also, but long since gone...if desperately interested, you could try the various Palm Societies............love seeing movies of ancient Rome with potted Lord Howe Kentia palms......shows the ancient Romans might have been here first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back