Can anyone ID these two snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dugites

they look like dugites ... P.affinis.
I havn't spent any time in that area . so just going by the pic

Think u might be right, i have never heard of dugites, but after some googling, i rekon the head is very simular, and the coloring is very random, and blotchy

Westaussie is on the money - being Ceduna, they are almost certainly Dugites, especially the blotchy one. The non-blotchy one could possibly be a Western.

You dont think the larger might be Pseudechis? i tried getting a larger image but the monitor here at work just pixilates it.

Oh!, theres more pictures there, I'll take that back then

Last edited by a moderator:
The big one could be an awesome looking King Brown and the small one a dugite

I don't think there is much of a possibility of the larger being a mulga. I've seen other pics of browns from the same area with the same patterning. I agree with everyone saying browns but i couldn't say what species.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 136
Dugites for sure... The large dark one is typically a south coast animal, and I think they may be the largest form of Dugite - I caught one years ago on the south coast of WA near Bremer Bay which was a whisker under 7 feet long, looked identical to that animal. Awesome animals, but it was probably the most mellow brown snake I've ever known! It's back end was sticking out of a V.rosenberg's burrow, so I grabbed and gently pulled... it kept coming... and coming... I couldn't keep its head off the ground it was so big!

J

I don't think there is much of a possibility of the larger being a mulga. I've seen other pics of browns from the same area with the same patterning. I agree with everyone saying browns but i couldn't say what species.

With that photo mate I reckon your on the money...nice one, that a hot looking snake!

Could another possibility be P. Inframacula, given it's location? Does anyone know which is the more common in the area (Inframacula or Affinis)??

G'day Richard,

Dugite's are more common in that area. That "triangle" between Port Augusta, Ceduna and Port Lincoln is home to no less than 4 species of Pseudonaja, with a fifth (P.textilis) occuring slightly south-east of Port Augusta. It's a great area if you love Brown Snakes.

Thanks Jonno; another place for my "to do" list! It would be interesting to know how so many large, similar species interact/ compete with eachother, assuming they utilise similar microhabitats and diets.

G'day Richard,

Generally they aren't sympatric - even though they live in close proximity you generally only get one species in any one locality (apart from P.modesta and P.aspidoryncha which both occur in the red dunes).

Here's a Dugite From Smoky Bay, 40km down the road from where the above photo's were taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back