Can anyone identify this dead snake for me?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clop

Reaction score
Greetings from Adelaide.

I am trying to identify this dead thing. Can anyone help? It looks like a snake to me but I guess it could be a lizard? Does anyone know what it is? It was found in the Adelaide Hills area of SA last week.

unknownreptile.jpg

Thank you,

clop

Could be a pygmy python, or legless lizard at that size hard to tell. head looks like it could be a ven though.

Last edited:
could possibly be a pygmy copperhead.?

Hard to say just looking at the pic, need to see it in person to be sure.

Greetings from Adelaide.

I am trying to identify this dead thing. Can anyone help? It looks like a snake to me but I guess it could be a lizard? Does anyone know what it is?
Thank you,

clop

Does it have a pelvis?

have you been watching steve's dvds melgalea? where he go's and saves those burtons legless lizards from the bushfire?

Looks abit like a lizard to me, the head doesnt seem to be very distinct from the neck but i guess there could be elapids that look like that too:?
As for a specific species, genus or family no idea :(

My best guess would be a species of Lerista spp. skink. The tail is still original looking and therefore this should rule out any pygopod as they have a tail at least twice as long as their SVL. This one appears to be about half and half. Depending on the species, the genus varies from 4 limbs to no limbs with every variation in between

My best guess would be a species of Lerista spp. skink. The tail is still original looking and therefore this should rule out any pygopod as they have a tail at least twice as long as their SVL. This one appears to be about half and half. Depending on the species, the genus varies from 4 limbs to no limbs with every variation in between

Yeah thats what i meant to say ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back