Can anyone identify this ground frog?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGym

Reaction score
We found this frog in the backyard (Melbourne suburb) after heavy rain. It's about 45mm long. Can anyone recognise this species?
Cheers!

Attachments

• Frog 1.jpg
    Frog 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Frog 2.jpg
    Frog 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Frog 3.jpg
    Frog 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Frog 4.jpg
    Frog 4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Do you mean 45mm long I don't know what it is but I doubt its almost a half a meter long. lol

i cant really say if it is or not, from pics i have seen its quite variable in color, might be or might not be

It is definately Litoria lesuerii

Sounds like a few of you need to head back to the bookshelf. I have found L. lesueurii in suburban Melbourne before, so know what they look like from that locality. It is one of the only Litoria species found in Melbourne, so unless it was an escapee its dead easy to narrow down. As for Litoria spenceri, I don't even know where to start correcting that identification!

I spent years surveying in Victoria...that is not a spenceri.....it is 100% a lesueurii.....I doubt that most of the people who drop their 2 cents worth in here(this post) have actually seen either spenceri or lesueurii (neither are found north of Sydney)

mind you the frogs Australia website is massively outdated as well

Last edited:
I spent years surveying in Victoria...that is not a spenceri.....it is 100% a lesueurii.....I doubt that most of the people who drop their 2 cents worth in here(this post) have actually seen either spenceri or lesueurii (neither are found north of Sydney)

mind you the frogs Australia website is massively outdated as well

I didnt think we were talking about species north of Brisbane. and yep seen both species either way.

what all three that were in the lesueurii group (jungguy, wilcoxi & lesueurii) or you have seen spenceri as well????

I sent the Photos to the herp curator at the Melbourne Museum and they have identified it as being the Brown Tree Frog Litoria ewingii.

No one wins LOL

It is definately Litoria lesuerii

Where is that incorrect buzzer LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back