Can I let my snake digest her meal out in the open?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratatouile

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I read an article by Doc Roc (SXR) where it says the following:

"I never provide my snakes with separate heating for their hideboxs. In fact, I usually place the hidebox on the opposite side of the cage to the heat source because I prefer to let them seek heat from their basking site (photo 3). This means your snake at least will display itself from time to time and move around its cage. If you put a heat mat under the hidebox, it may lead to the animal rarely being seen and not becoming as tame as it might otherwise."

Has anyone tried this method? I'm keen to give it a try with my yearling bredli but have one question: Do I still need to provide heated hide box (either under a heat lamp or on a heat mat/heated tile) after a meal? If not, would it stress a snake (ie. regurgitate) if she's forced to digest her meal out in the open of the basking branch?

My bredli is a very relax, placid snake and doesn't stress easily (eg. shedding and moving enclosure never stops her eating!) but she does always hide in her box for 2 days after a meal, which is why I'm not sure if the above method will work with her. Any input will be much appreciated - thanks!

If its relaxed and there is no issue I cant see the point of changing what you're doing. It's working for you and the snake so keep it as is.

do snakes hide in logs in the wild to digest or do you find then out sunning on rocks, sand, roads etc...

I dont see any need for heating in the hide box. If they want heat in the wild they have to go out into the sun, they dont have heating underneath logs. Why would we do any differently in our enclosures?

I also only provide a hide at the cool end for established feeders.

If the snake is a finicky feeder then I provide multiple hides so as to let the snake feel as comfortable/secure as possible, I often will also apply this to new arrivals until I have them feeding regularly.

Thanks everyone, it's feeding time tonight so I'll try leaving her hide box in the cool end.

Keep us updated on how she goes without a heated hide, as im curious about it too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back