Can my Bluey eat yabbies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spookynoodle

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was on YouTube today and I saw a video of a Bluey eating live yabbies! I want to try this on my two skinks, but is it safe?

I've seen wild water skinks and wild water dragons come up with a fresh water shrimp or a "yabby " in their mouth , even a tadpole or a small fish , which were demolished in no time. So I think a bluetongue can eat yabbies too , though I can't imagine wild bluetongues diving to catch yabbies in creeks and ponds.

I had a bluetongue living in my shed for a while and he had habit of stealing thawed raw bait prawns that fell out the bag sometimes when I returned from a day of fishing. They'd be dropped while I was taking my bag and rods and other fishing gear out of the back of the wagon and he'd amble up and nick them one at a time if I wasn't quick in picking them up.

Last edited:
I've seen wild water skinks and wild water dragons come up with a fresh water shrimp or a "yabby " in their mouth , even a tadpole or a small fish , which were demolished in no time. So I think a bluetongue can eat yabbies too , though I can't imagine wild bluetongues diving to catch yabbies in creeks and ponds.
Can't imagine that either.

I'd just love to feed something live every now and again, for enrichment. There's just not many pet stores near me, so I don't get the opportunity to unless I find garden snails.

Blue-tongueds are garbage cans that will eat pretty much anything. It's not really necessary or going to help them, but if it amuses you or brings you happiness, have fun I suppose! Be careful not to give them yabbies large enough to give the lizard a nasty pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back