Can My Skink Live With My Geckos

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by DaReptileBoy, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaReptileBoy

DaReptileBoy Well-Known Member

hey

Iv got an eastern water skink he is not to big at the moment probably the same size as my geckos. So here is the question i have 3 arboreal geckos living in a 60x45x60 tank and i have a deep water dish for my eastern water skink to swim in, and since he is growing to big for his tank can he live with them as they come out at night and he burrows and sleeps at night so i dont think they could harm each other.

If you could get back to me as soon as you can then that would be great! and i dont mind buying a new tank if i have to but i want to save a bit of money for my project of breeding some reptiles.

Cheers
    DaReptileBoy

2. PythonLegs

PythonLegs Very Well-Known Member

Nope. Not saying anything. Someone has to. But I'm not. I only have two strikes left. So I am being quiet. But, someone else.

3. DaReptileBoy

What?

4. GeckoJosh

GeckoJosh Almost Legendary

How well do geckos swim?
    I am hesitant keeping multiple males of the same species in a confined space let alone different species that would normally never interact with each other!
    It may be fine for a while but imo its just a matter of time until your skink rips into one of your geckos!

5. Skippii

Skippii Well-Known Member

DaReptileboy, I believe PythonLegs is hinting at the fact that it would be incredibly unwise to house a skink with your geckos haha, they may be much the same size right now, but your skink is going to grow.

I don't have experience with keeping geckos, but I have picked up wild ones before and they're extremely delicate animals. I've also picked up water skinks, and I tell you, those things can give you a decent nip. What seems like a nasty nip to us could easily injure or kill your geckos. Also honestly I wouldn't even be overly surprised if your skink tracked down, attacked and killed your geckos for food when it's a bit bigger.

I wouldn't risk it, you'd be effectively offering your geckos up on a silver platter.

I suggest investing in separate enclosures.

x

6. DaReptileBoy

the water dish isent that deep that they could drown its just like a soaking water dish it would probably go up to the elbows

7. Skippii

Skippii Well-Known Member

The water isn't nearly as big an issue as the fact that your water skink and geckos will eventually cross paths living in the same enclosure, and I can't see it ending well for the geckos when they do.

8. DaReptileBoy

hes the same size as the gecko but?

9. DaReptileBoy

ok thank you for the information i wont do it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.