can sand monitors eat wet dog food ??

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Jayden1, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayden1

Jayden1 Not so new Member

can sand monitors eat wet dog food ??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
  2. saximus

saximus Almost Legendary

Can they? Yes. Should they? Probably not.

The key is in the name - DOG food is for dogs.

3. kitten_pheonix

kitten_pheonix Well-Known Member

Your better off buying pinky mice or larger then dog food, even a premium grade mince would be better. Cheap dog food isnt good for dogs so i wouldnt feed it to a reptile.

4. Native_EWD

Native_EWD Active Member

Saximus is on correct, Take into consideration monitors get there calcium from the prey they eat, not saying you plan on using as a staple diet, but even the best dog food probably won't meet a monitors nutritional needs. If it's for a treat maybe try kangaroo mince?

5. Dragon_77

Dragon_77 Guest

I myself would not feed wet dog or cat food to any medium or large monitor's, in the wild they eat reptiles-mammals-birds as well as dead carrion.
    ln captivity you should feed them mice-rats and kangaroo mince or chopped up rabbit, this should give then a variety and plenty of calcium that they need to live a healthy life.
    Remember to not over feed them cause it can lead to liver and overweight problems.

Small monitor's, should be feed a variety or insects such as, crickets-woodies-grasshoppers and newborn mice or newborn rats.
    Small monitor's enjoy eating insects more and a little bit of meat occasionally.

l myself have kept ( Ridge-Tailed & Pygmy-Mulga & Spencer & Sand Monitor's), so l do know a lot about keeping and feeding and health issues, for when it comes to keeping these awesome lizards.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.