can some one help identify this snake!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlecheeks

Reaction score
I found this snake curled up on my kitchen floor this morning at 7.30am. Not sure if one of our cats brought it inside or not as one of our cats was happy to wonder over and sniff it and seem very unafraid and possessive of it. It is approximately 40cm long, has a distinct diamond shaped head. It seemed happy to just lie on wooden floor but was very lively when disturbed.
The first pic is what greeted me when I went to make coffee this morning, the second pic is when we got it outside. My house is not ground level. You need to walk up 5 steps. If my cat caught this I am very lucky to still have him, I know this is a venomous snake. I live in Tara Qld and have yet to see a snake that is not venomous! The area I live in is literally alive with tiger snakes, but this snake is a completely different color to the tigers out here. To me, it looks like an adder. Any help would be great, it's not the first weird looking snake I have seen out here. They all look weird to me, I grew up in far northern NSW!!!

Attachments

• 20121020_072344.jpg
    20121020_072344.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 561
  • 20121020_073105.jpg
    20121020_073105.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 593
looks to me like you got yourself an adder.... id say you'd have heaps of them

where bouts on the fnc did you live

could it also possibly be a de vis banded snake very very similar to an addder , are they found in the area at all does anyone know? just a thought though

Last edited:
Devils Advocate here....

The body doesnt seem thick enough to be an adder and there doesnt seem to be a discernable Caudal Lure? I'm not saying I know what it is as the pics dont show alot of detail but I'm pretty sure its not a Death Adder.

Bill

could it also possibly be a de vis banded snake very very similar to an addder...............

I think you are correct.

edit:just read the rules of this section.
My reason on thinking it is a de vis is because that's what it looks like to me.

Last edited:
I would be on the same track as Ramsayi and Thomassss. My reasoning for such is that the tail doesn't thin out as much as you would expect a Death Adders to.

looks spot on mate! fooled me. I guess adders would be more stocky.

It's definitely a De Vis' Banded Sanke (Denisonia devisi), colour and pattern, glossy scales, body length and head shape are all good indicators. But the real key thing that sticks out is that that snake has no caudal lure and its full tail is in tact.

Denisonia devisi example.

Denisonia devisi by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr

A Death Adder missing its caudal lure, showing what the damaged tail tip looks like.

Acanthophis antarcticus by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr

Last edited:
In the second pic the snake looks hurt, is it okay?

It looks like a De Vis BS to me too, I have been looking at one of these guys for a while, hoping to have one some day, lol.

Wow GeckPhotographer, that is a awesome pic of the snake, really highlights why it is such a stunning snake. (I love them, obviously)

In the second pic the snake looks hurt, is it okay?
It looked hurt/dead to me in both pictures, in fact I just assumed it was and ID for a dead snake until I read the OP more thoroughly.
Wow GeckPhotographer, that is a awesome pic of the snake, really highlights why it is such a stunning snake. (I love them, obviously)
Yeah I fell in love with these guys photographing them out in Central West NSW, absolutely cool snake, I wish I got some pics of them eating frogs.

So is it the same snake go in both pictures? The grey definately looks like the de vis , red not so much?

That is a shovel in the second pic....:shock:

You got good eyes I thought a slate tile but it does look like a shovel

- - - Updated - - -

Was it not already obvious they killed the snake? They have one post on the forum and that post includes the word 'cat'.

They also said it was lively when they went near it, and lucky to have a it around? Did they not

That is a shovel in the second pic....:shock:

And yet the snake appears somewhat intact. Shovel affected snakes are generally missing their head.

I'd much rather someone uses a shovel to move a snake that they're not sure is venomous or not, or alive or not for that matter. Or better still, call a re locator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back