can some one help identify this snake!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I value your thoughts, and I agree to a point but humans are capable of choice. I have seen situations where animals hold the moral high ground over humans and as such don't believe my words should change anyone opinions, but it will take a strong argument to convince me that killing animals because they "might" be a threat to a person or their families is a reason to die.

If that was the case, no one would see their bosses :D

I think you've missed my point. I didn't say we should be allowed to kill if we feel threatened. Im not trying to convince anyone of that, but you asked why its OK to kill animals not people. And this is why. Human life is more valuable than animal life. This is why we can eat cows etc, and why we don't cut up people to feed the lions at the zoo

Gruni, spot on!
Wally, I didn’t look back to see who had written what when I wrote the post. However, my general impression was that your comments were well thought out and based on reason. My apologies if I have given you grounds for thinking otherwise.

Anyone that knows anything about wild snakes would not advise approaching them because they are sitting quietly and “don’t look aggressive”. Give them a nudge with something, be it a broom, bucket or spade, and a healthy snake will burst into life. A non snake person does not have the expertise to determine why the snake is quiet. It could be temperature related, it could be in oxygen debt after frantically looking for a way out, it could be due to injuries already sustained or it could be a Death Adder behaving normally. Even if it is quiet due to injuries, pushing it will cause it pain and it will use what resources it has to stop that. You can also get really close to Death Adders and they won’t move. When they do move, you won’t see it but you might feel it.

The comment: “What I can’t understand is how anyone can see a 40 cm snake as a threat to their family and kids” was made a couple of times. Here is a quote from Brian Bush’s webpage on Snakebite in WA: “Gingin 26 Nov 2010: male, 43 years. Western Brownsnake (Pseudonaja mengdeni) less than 42cm in length. Treated at Joondalup Medical Campus - originally thought to be tiger snake (Notechis scutatus). Bitten on toe while in house on computer. No immediate first aid. Note: Small Western brown snakes have been involved in several deaths, with the smallest individual documented involving an 18cm specimen implicated in the 1982 death of a 27 yr old female in Western NSW.” I can see why she might it might be seen as a threat... these two people died as a result.

The advice some gave is extremely unsafe as is. When viewed in the context of it being given to someone you have no idea on how they might react to a snake that suddenly starts flaying around, it is downright irresponsible..

There are a couple of posts that made false claims about me or my values. I would appreciate it if you would rectify them please.
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back