Can someone ID this elapid?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my dog killed this in the backyard about 3 years ago. When it happened I got my grandfather to rush me down to the petrol station to buy a bottle of metho so I could preserve it.

I found it in my room when I got home last night :)

e3e95d3b.jpg

2d1f22d4.jpg

550a936c.jpg

bf4b3ed6.jpg

0f923b3a.jpg

7e3d14e9.jpg

I don't want to hear that my dog is a killer. He is a Maltese terrier and is a timid little puppy. I'm glad he didn't give up or just investigate like usual in this instance.

Anyone got any ideas? It looks exactly the same now as it did when I put it in the bottle.

Not a whipsnake mate.

well actually I'll take that back, as I have no idea. But I've handled a whipsnake that was about 3ft long and not as thick as that, it was a lot more slender. It doesn't have the White thing near it's eye either.

Could be wrong.

Last edited:
Could be a Keelback or a Rough Scaled Snake, the Keelback (a colubrid) has a laureal scale between the nostril and the eye (a single line from the edge of the scale), whereas a Rough Scaled snake is an elapid with a star like formation between the nostril and the eye. Keelback-harmless, Roughy-highly venomous.

Could be a Keelback or a Rough Scaled Snake, the Keelback (a colubrid) has a laureal scale between the nostril and the eye (a single line from the edge of the scale), whereas a Rough Scaled snake is an elapid with a star like formation between the nostril and the eye. Keelback-harmless, Roughy-highly venomous.

It's not a rough scale.

Attitude like that will get your dog killed.

You've gotta be kidding.... How on earth would my attitude have any influence on my dogs behaviour? He's not an APS user and when he had it I smacked him....

Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Your dog has the attitude that will get him killed,
i think this is what gordo meant.
Train the dog not to attack wildlife and you will lessen the chances of it being envenomated by about 100%

Waruikazi, I forgot to say in the first photo you can see the laureal scale..........ergo Keelback.

You've gotta be kidding.... How on earth would my attitude have any influence on my dogs behaviour? He's not an APS user and when he had it I smacked him....

You said
I'm glad he didn't give up or just investigate

If you're are glad your dog hunts snakes, which is what i took from your comment, and you allow it to keep doing so it will eventually cop a bite. I thought that was pretty obvious. Unless you made that comment to be a troll.

Definitely a keelback. A slightly clearer definition for you; keelback has a loreal scale, which sits between the pre-ocular scale and nasal scale, a rough scaled snake does not have this scale, the pre-ocular scale is adjacent to the nasal scale.

Your dog has the attitude that will get him killed,
i think this is what gordo meant.
Train the dog not to attack wildlife and you will lessen the chances of it being envenomated by about 100%

Ahh ok. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Usually he doesn't go near anything. Every time he goes near a toad he gets a big smack, and there have been a couple of snakes in the backyard and he's just barked but stayed back.

No idea why he went for this one, it may have been injured and easy for him. Looks like it has something in its mouth, but it's hard to see.

Definitely a keelback. A slightly clearer definition for you; keelback has a loreal scale, which sits between the pre-ocular scale and nasal scale, a rough scaled snake does not have this scale, the pre-ocular scale is adjacent to the nasal scale.

Keelbacks also have divided sub-caudal scales, where as rough scales have undivided sub-caudals.

You said

If you're are glad your dog hunts snakes, which is what i took from your comment, and you allow it to keep doing so it will eventually cop a bite. I thought that was pretty obvious. Unless you made that comment to be a troll.

That's ridiculous. Nowhere in my post does it look like I was an advocate for him hinting snakes. I meant that IF something happened and it WAS venomous (which it isn't) I'm glad that he came out on top. He isn't a hunter and he gets belted whenever he goes near anything.

I know things get lost in translation but you plucked that out of thin air.

That's ridiculous. Nowhere in my post does it look like I was an advocate for him hinting snakes. I meant that IF something happened and it WAS venomous (which it isn't) I'm glad that he came out on top. He isn't a hunter and he gets belted whenever he goes near anything.

I know things get lost in translation but you plucked that out of thin air.

OOoooooooookkkkkkkkkk then...........

Look at my reply to snakeman, I took that and apologised for misunderstanding, but your statement was ridiculous.

I said in the first post that he is a timid dog. Nowhere did I say that I was proud of him, or that I rewarded him.

I don't want a dog that hunts anything, and it's an isolated incident within 4 years of him being there with quite a few snakes wandering through the backyard.

Geez, you guys are just picking on him now.

Pre-ocular, sub-caudal..........funny idea of simplifying. I understand these terms but 60-80% of others wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back