can someone identify this cuttie :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaffycat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
IMAG0484.jpghi everyone.... I'm wondering if someone can identify this gorgeous little fella.
not sure if the pic will be big enough so I'll give as much detail as I can

Hubby and I have just come back fom FNQ where we stayed at Trinity Beach for our birthday and 3 of these little guys would come out every night on our balcony. they were a sort of sandy colour one was a little bit darker and bigger and the other 2 were lighter and all had black eyes unfortunately I could not get closer for a better picture

they were so cute and now I am keen to get a little gecko as I want to name it 'Cairns' ... yeah not very imaginative but fitting as a lasting memory of our trip

Asian House Gecko; an introduced "pest" species, unfortunately. Our Ozzie endemics are much cuter:)!

thanks guys... lol @ richoman_3 they were such a lovely colour though - is there something similar that you would recommend ??

Although it's impossible to be sure based on your distant, fuzzy photo (no offence intended), I agree that it's quite possibly or even likely to be an Asian House Gecko. Did it have small spikes on the sides of the base of the tail? Did it have a call that sounded like "chuck-chuck-chuck"?

If you want to keep a similar and suitable endemic species of gecko, then I recommend the Marbled Gecko (Christinus marmoratus).

Asian house gecko's, they live every where up here in your house (i'm from cairns), they are very cute indeed ;)

you all know nothing, look at the head shape... Clearly its a Keel Back!

As much as I like animals they have to be one of the most annoying of all. They can get into everything, I went to get a biscuit from a packet I left on my desk for an hour or so the other day and one stuck it's head out at me. They are as annoying as cockroaches but manage to skidmark your walls and seem super clever (I have a theory they aim purposely to see who can get the longest wall streak happening, some sort of nutty Gecko Olympics that they have going). I have even had one land in my beer in Thailand - Gecko diving comp or something.

One of the strangest incidents I remember though was twenty years ago sharing a house in Cairns, Saturday morning, young with a serious hangover after a night at Magnums and getting a drink in the Kitchen when my mate woke up and come staggering in just in shorts, usual chit chat, then as he turned around we saw a squashed one stuck to his back. It looked like he had got a new tattoo.

Lesson for House Geckos - get off the bed when a 6'3 Far North Queenslander staggers in at 3am.

I have a weird admiration for them, but they also seriously xxxx me off.

acording to my mother they make a really good noise as they are going up the vacuum :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back