Can someone identify this Gecko?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are Southern leaf tailed geckos (Saltaurius wyberba) :) Where were they found?

Last edited:
They are Broad-tailed Rock Geckos Phyllurus platurus AKA Southern or Sydney Leaf-tails.

I would put money on these guys being wild caught.

Its such a shame that this species is poached so often, please anyone who sees cheap ones for sale, particularly with regen tails please do not buy them.

To get them you would have to trade him an iPad xD
He is using fake grass as substrate...
Obviously does not know much about them

To get them you would have to trade him an iPad xD
He is using fake grass as substrate...
Obviously does not know much about them
Ahaha yeah but an iPad is like $500 - $800 so not worth it i reckon

They are Southern leaf tailed geckos (Saltaurius wyberba) :) Where were they found?

yeah as other ppl said i saw the picture on gumtree and was wondering on the specific species of gecko it was.

thanks for the answers.

are they endangered or something? yeah i was considering buying one but i wont now. :)

I don't think they are endangered but taking them out of the wild is against the laws and regulations

Agreed, they are Broad-tailed Geckos (Phyllurus platurus), a rock-dwelling species found on Hawkesbury sandstone - roughly Newcastle to Wollongong and inland to the mountains. They are known to aggregate in some shelter sites and so can be mass collected when such a site is discovered. They are common over a substantial area and therefore are considered not under threat = of least concern.

You have two with regenerated tails and one (at the very bottom) looks like it recently lost its tail. Highly indicative of wild caught rather that captive bred. Captive bred seem to sell for around the $100+ when they are available.

Blue

You have two with regenerated tails and one (at the very bottom) looks like it recently lost its tail. Highly indicative of wild caught rather that captive bred. Captive bred seem to sell for around the $100+ when they are available.

Blue

Yeah I can only make out one with an original tail.

I have been keeping this species for a few years now and I have managed to breed a nice colony of them, I am yet to loose even a single tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back