Can someone please ID this for me...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

humba_jumba

Reaction score
Just after an ID of this snake as it was in my house and the cat found it... The snake is saf...

20120825_132705.jpg20120825_132922.jpg20120825_133123.jpg

is it a venemous snake and is it harmful to my cat???

Attachments

• 20120825_133128.jpg
    20120825_133128.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 200
where is this? yeah venomous, maybe a whip snake... not too sure though. (possibly a brown...)
not good for cats

where is this? yeah venomous, maybe a whip snake... not too sure though. (possibly a brown...)
not good for cats

- - - Updated - - -

kinda looks like a yellow face whip snake i saw

Looks like Yellow Faced Whip Snake.

Yes it is venomous.

alright, cheers... im not sure whether or not my cat has been bitten, the thing is really small about 30cms... The cat seems fine and like its running around fine... How fatal for cats??? or should I say 4month old kittens???

Yellow faced Whip Snake (Demansia psammophis). Here's a link with some added info for you Yellow-Faced Whip Snake Wildlife QLD
Would be best to keep your cat indoors or confined to a run for both it's safety and the environment's. Envenomating bites from larger whippies in particular may prove quite harmful to your pets so best err on the side of caution.

Whip snake and it will kill a cat
are you sure its going to kill the cat , my vet told me they cause localised swelling in most cases but if your worried you should always take them in

although this was regarding large dogs , so a bit different

It can hurt then if it's a kitten I would take I to the. Vet just incase

how long would it take to knock the cat??? the cat is still outside running and climbing trees... Should he be fine... Im not even sure if the cats been bit... I only ever let my cat out supervised when I am home...

You would know by now she should be fine then they froth at the mouth

Your kitten sounds like it will be fine. Generally speaking, although these are an elapid their venom isn't that potent and usually results in a reaction comparable to a bee sting (swelling, itching, burning). Though an allergic reaction to the venom is always possible as well. There has been a case where someone has died after getting tagged by one of these guys so it's always best to treat them as you would any other venomous snake.

Not sure if the cat death thing is entirely true? I've attended two cats that were envenomated by Eastern Brown snakes, not given any treatment and were fine 48 hours later. They did go through a period which could best be described as "plastic pussy" (probably a more suitable word for it), where they appeared to be at death's door/dead and had skin that was like one of those old "stretch armstrong" dolls, where you could stretch it and it took ages to snap back into place. Both cats survived.

Beat me to it Thals:)!

Uh..where'd you hear a whip snake wil kill a cat? The only snakebite I've taken, and it's about as painful as a bee sting.

Whip snake, they are midly venomous, doubt if would hurt cat too much, been bitten on fingers a few times, mainly a bit of numness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back