Can someone tell me what this is please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Stimson

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
A mate of mine put a photo of this on Facebook tonight. Apparently he rescued it from a neighbours guinea pig cage and I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what it is please? There's a comment from someone (I don't know them) saying its a Darwin carpet python but I wouldn't have a clue being only new to all of this. Thanks heaps if you can help. I'd like to feel so clever to be able to say 'oh mate that's a ......' Lol ;)
y7una7yb.jpg

So it wouldn't be someone's Darwin pet that's escaped?

Ok so to add to this. What should he do with it? Should I get it off him and deal with it from there? I only ask this as he's not really a snake person and I'm only very, very new to this and just want to do the right thing by the snake. Is best case scenario releasing it somewhere safe?

Can you point out the diiferentiating factors between darwin and coastal? Thnx
...Darwins typically have a more coppery brown GENERALLY with verticle banding. between there bands its a creamy colour compared to the lighter brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I have a Darwin and am unfamiliar with Coastals so I wanted to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The locality gives it away as a coastal, but the patterning (more broken with black specks between the bands) is an attribute of coastal carpets. Colouring is never a good thing to go off when identifying snakes, but this is a pretty typical colour for coastals. Darwins are usually fairly typical in colour and patterns whereas coastals can be a lot more varied. I hope that kind of helps.

Thanks so much everyone. He released him into the paddock up the road a bit. Great outcome for all concerned. Especially the snake. I learnt something in the process...awesome!!! :)

The locality gives it away as a coastal, but the patterning (more broken with black specks between the bands) is an attribute of coastal carpets. Colouring is never a good thing to go off when identifying snakes, but this is a pretty typical colour for coastals. Darwins are usually fairly typical in colour and patterns whereas coastals can be a lot more varied. I hope that kind of helps.

Thanks Skinks.

Thanks so much everyone. He released him into the paddock up the road a bit. Great outcome for all concerned. Especially the snake. I learnt something in the process...awesome!!! :)

Good thing all round : ) Well done.

It will come back - so your mate will need to snake proof his guinea pig cage. Nice looking coastal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back