can we have jags in sa

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Bredli is it's own species in certain books
Morelia no more then.........ok guys and girls we need to rename the BREDLI...who's guna start?
Sax this is not meant to be against u k...ive read similar also...so someone tell me y?..."Certain books"

They killed them because they were cross breeds between two species, not because they were jags. As people have said, their rules don't recognise M.spilota ssp. so a "normal" jag (eg Jungle x Coastal) isn't against their laws
yes i do understand that , i just think its a little silly that just because their officially slightly different then they should be killed but as you said a normal jungle jag (which has still been crossed in some peoples veiws) is allowed to live just because their not officially recognised as a different subspecies due to dna make up

Morelia no more then.........ok guys and girls we need to rename the BREDLI...who's guna start?
Sax this is not meant to be against u k...ive read similar also...so someone tell me y?..."Certain books"

They are still Morelia, just not Morelia spilota, has been that way for a long time, nothing has changed.

yes i do understand that , i just think its a little silly that just because their officially slightly different then they should be killed but as you said a normal jungle jag (which has still been crossed in some peoples veiws) is allowed to live just because their not officially recognised as a different subspecies due to dna make up

The authorities have to draw the line somewhere or otherwise make all hybrids legal.

Like JP2 said, they're still Morelia. Morelia is the genus not the species. The Complete Carpet Python had a description of the reason I think. Sorry not at home to look it up but I'll try to find something a bit more scientific than my original statement when I'm home

can't seem to find anywhere in the paperwork with the licence codes that has a code for illegally imported bloodline x Jungle, maybe they are on advanced licence not basic

What's an rms? Wish people had the balls to call things what they are when they illegally bring animals over here, so we wouldn't have all these ridiculous codes for them.

junglepython2 said:
The authorities have to draw the line somewhere or otherwise make all hybrids legal.

I wonder how often the authorities in SA actually act upon this law. Would be interesting to see if they take the protection of our wildlife (hah) seriously compared to say, the EPA up here lol.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Morelia spilota can be crossed, morelia can not. S.A does not recognize spilota as different species, so these animals were killed because they were bredli crosses. Regardless of whether anyone thinks crossing spilota and crossing bredli is the same thing in their books, in the eyes of those who make and enforce the laws its different. Like it or not, its how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back