Can you help me identify this snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_hq

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just wondering if you can please identify this snake I have living in my house yard? It was fairly aggressive as in he rared up at me. It was only about 60cm long. Thanks inadvanced!

Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 384
Thats what I thought but then I looked in a book & it kinda looks like a Grey Snake... Were in South East Qld? I'm stressing out because we have 2 grand kids who are always playing in the yard!!!!

Thats what I thought but then I looked in a book & it kinda looks like a Grey Snake... Were in South East Qld? I'm stressing out because we have 2 grand kids who are always playing in the yard!!!!

If you are worried you should contact someone qualified to remove it for you.

EBS, one of the things I love about these snakes is how they continually show up with different patterns/colours. Gorgeous looking colouration.

yeah brown mate ring a snake catcha dude to get rid of it for ya :D

Thanks everyone... If I see it again i'll call a snake catcher straight away.

sarah_m said:
The fact that it reared up gives it away as eastern brown

That's a very poor indication. I hope that's not how you identify browns. Pythons rear up too. So do many other snakes.

Hi notechistiger,
Do you think in could be something else? when I first seen it it was all wound up like a slinky with what looked like it's own body inside it, maybe it was eating a lizard or mating with another snake.... I have noidea I was to worried too go near it. It's really freaked us out!
Thanks

That's a very poor indication. I hope that's not how you identify browns. Pythons rear up too. So do many other snakes.
I'm sorry, but from what i have read they say that most snakes are more likely to flight than fight, except the brown with will rear up with less provokation then most, hence the scientific name :pseudonaja.
Sorry if i am misinformed

It shouldn't matter if they're most likely to rear up. It's like identifying a sea snake solely on the fact that it can swim. All snakes can swim. See my point? You need to be able to accurately identify snakes (and definitely venomous snakes from non venomous) by their appearance, not necessarily their behaviour.

I'm sorry, but from what i have read they say that most snakes are more likely to flight than fight, except the brown with will rear up with less provokation then most, hence the scientific name :pseudonaja.
Sorry if i am misinformed
what you have read in theory is correct ..but as NT has said you need to know what the snake is ...the EB is a very easy snake to provoke and will act on what ever is provoking it at the time ..but BTS do the same ,they dont take much to provoke either and will strike at you ,pull back and strike again ...Identification is the key and to anyone that isnt sure ,all snakes should be avoided ,stay at a safe distance away like 4 feet still able to watch and if its in a place where you need it gone ring a person that has the correct permit to come and remove ...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back