Can you keep Western Bluey's Outdoor's in Sydney?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krefft

Reaction score
That's all really.
I've got a big pit and just trying to work out what can go in there. Western's would be cool if they will cope.

If you kept them off the ground (ie raised slightly), 100% dry & had somewhere inside to put them in real cold snaps then you could do it.

Cold will not kill outdoor Blueys as long as they have access to whatever morning bask there is so as to get warm in the day. Cold & wet will kill them however......

There is a heap of other things to consider but the idea of 'set & forgot' is an absolute no go with outdoor reptiles constant tweaks as the weather changes are necessary.

Do you have a snap of your pit ??

I dont think they would -bit like shinglebacks and in the slightly moister and cooler Sydney climate I think they'd get RI's. I know further north people keep westerns and centralians outdoors on a super draining substrate, but around here I've not heard of anyone who does. Mind you westerns do alright indoors so if you want some babies later in the year give me a cooee.

Well if jinjajoe spent less time on here and more time writing his article on keeping blue tongues outside. You wouldn't have to ask lol Articles | bluetonguelizard.com.au

Lol it's a great site should be good when it's finished.

I dont think they would -bit like shinglebacks and in the slightly moister and cooler Sydney climate I think they'd get RI's. I know further north people keep westerns and centralians outdoors on a super draining substrate, but around here I've not heard of anyone who does. Mind you westerns do alright indoors so if you want some babies later in the year give me a cooee.

You are probs right Bob but if ALL aspects were considered it could be done I reckon.... I keep mine outside in Brisbane it requires keeping them 100% dry in winter & pulling them out from their slumber for a bask after cold nights.

Incidentally & off topic my grandmother has kept a Tortoise outside in the UK for 30 years.... by keeping it dry & maximising any available bask by moving the animal daily.

If you are prepared to put 100% attention to detail anything is possible after all the Westerns are native.

As jinjajoe said, it is possible but they must be monitored constantly . I keep some outdoors in Melbourne during the warmer months . They are kept very dry in a North facing enclosure. Been keeping some of them this particular way for 4 years now with no health probs. I keep my breeding females mainly indoors because it gives me more control over their environment and I don't want to take any risks loosing them or the babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back