Cane toads threaten iconic king brown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't been here how do you know the numbers are not what they are in southern QLD? The toad pop isn't increasing here perse`, it is expanding.

I've been to a few places in NT, but not there. You can view recent toad density, and there are a few reports on the subject. Thats what google's for. I'm only commenting on what I see in the field here in QLD, and I'm seeing substantially larger numbers of toads in the sunshine coast hinterland every year.

I've been to a few places in NT, but not there. You can view recent toad density, and there are a few reports on the subject. Thats what google's for. I'm only commenting on what I see in the field here in QLD, and I'm seeing substantially larger numbers of toads in the sunshine coast hinterland every year.

Did you check anything before making that claim? Apparently the densities are the same or lower in QLD when compared to the NT....

http://www.nrm.gov.au/publications/factsheets/bp09-10/pubs/04-reducing-cane-toads-map.pdf

Pythonlegs i'm keen to see the research but in reality whether there are 100 per square meter or 200, it is still more than enough to cause significant damage.

To adress your argument about BHP's, i still see alot of large BHPs around, i think it has more to do with diet than any kind of immunity.

I understood what they meant, too. But you've taken stuff I've said out of context for a joke.

Sorry if I offended.

When are you all going to WAKE UP & realise that cane toads have no place here in Aussie.
Look at the facts that are proven by field scientists.

We need to strongly lobby the GOV'T & GREENS as to the destruction that Cane Toads are cuasing & if they care about thier votes & the natural environment of Aussie then they should act.

As said earlier I believe that a sollution lies with the Gov't defuncked CSIRO. More money is needed for this organisation if there is any possibillity of holding back the TOAD.

Vote at the next election & let it be heard in the votes, better still why don't we somehow send in a letter from our head boddy??????????? as to why the eradication of cane toads need a primary source of funds. That outa do it.

Cheers
Ian

...no one is saying toads are not bad or do not have a negative effect on the environment.
Just saying they aren't as bad as you think, despite how the media and society portrays them, more research is needed in population densities, what species they are affecting, what species will recover with time, and how to solve the problem.

Time has shown that most species affected by toads have made a come back.
I think (IMO) this trend will continue in MOST species.
Australia officially gave up on the war with toads a few years ago and I don't think it will come back in the Government (please prove me wrong) but independent organizations will be the back bone of the front-line.

It has had some interesting affects on species such as Keelbacks, Red Belly Blacks, Marsh Snakes and Common Tree Snakes concerning the head size to body size ratio. I'm sure there has been changes or will be rapid changes in other species too, particular some monitors and other snakes.

Yer cause when I make a plan I don't do any research and just shoot guns wildly.
Stupid idea.
CSIRO has given up on toads, so have fun funding that.

i keep posting this link but keep getting the same people going"lets kill every damn one of them" which would be wonderful but not possible.

Cane Toads in Oz

i love our wildlife and i dont particurlarly like toads,but as they have not caused extinctions in any species,there are worse things out there such as habitat destruction.

Their impact is immediate in new country. most (not all) species recover to an extent (decades later). What I see is frill necks, king browns, big or aquatic varanids, creeping back but still, adults are rare. The smaller freshwater crocs (escarpment) and stone country have just gone. And the freshies are a rare sight on the floodplain rivers. There is also a big shift in fish and crustacean dominance in creek systems.
Cherubin (amphibian egg eaters) disappear but freshwater crabs increase, sooty and spangled grunters die off and rainbow fish increase.This is first hand experience over a few decades.

Sadly folks the toads are entrenched and what threatens them by way of an exterminant threatens native frogs. Darwin's rules apply and the counter weapons will adapt. Not just crows but Intermediate Herons here have learned to flip them over and eat them through the belly, avoiding the poison (can I say that?) glands on their back.

It's interesting to see as they adapt to cold and dessication and spread towards the Mexican states there is an outcry of "stop them at all costs" but nobody noticed when we were screaming the alarms up here 20 years ago. Now they are in the northern floodplains, just like their home country in Venuzuela. You take a boat out on the stunning Coroboree Billabong (Mary River) now and you see 2kg thug toads swimming across the river and nothing (except me) touches them.

They're here, have been for a long time. Get used to it.

(I cant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back