cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

discomat

Reaction score
are there any nifty ways to keep the toads away as we have many beautiful tree frogs at our house and am concerned about them being replaced by these bumpy intruders.

yeh, we've started seeing a few toads for the first time in ages lately, was not really much I could do except introduce them to a large rock in the head as rapidly and humanely as possible.

No

The only way is to keep going out anc ollecting them and then freezing them.

If you are willing to do a bit of hard work you can put a dent and at least stop what you see from reproducing.

You all just love winding me up right?

Do not use your cruel methods - a 9 iron or detol or any sporting equipment, acids, liquids etc... are all cruel and is tantamount to animal cruelty - it puts you in the same bracket as those who torture snakes.

If you want to kill something do it with some dignity and do it quickly.

In the case of a toad, it's refrigerator then freezer then wrapped up and thrown away so their poison can no longer do any damage to our wildlife.

Is it that hard to be humane?

You all just love winding me up right?

Do not use your cruel methods - a 9 iron or detol or any sporting equipment, acids, liquids etc... are all cruel and is tantamount to animal cruelty - it puts you in the same bracket as those who torture snakes.

If you want to kill something do it with some dignity and do it quickly.

In the case of a toad, it's refrigerator then freezer then wrapped up and thrown away so their poison can no longer do any damage to our wildlife.

Is it that hard to be humane?

I'd rather be killed rather fast by a blow from a 9 iron compared to having my blood crystallise into shards of ice ripping my blood vessels apart....

But hey I catch fish on sharp hooks and shoot feral animals in the name of having a good time...

I'd rather be killed rather fast by a blow from a 9 iron compared to having my blood crystallise into shards of ice ripping my blood vessels apart....

But hey I catch fish on sharp hooks and shoot feral animals in the name of having a good time...

Cane Toads are Poikilotherms so freezing them is not painful as it is with warm blooded animals, it is the most humane way of killing them.

If you keep collecting and do it diligently every night you will find significant decreases int he numbers you are getting coming about.

The toads wont replace the frogs. The frogs live up nice and high and the toads on the ground.

Actually if you think about it - the cold blooded system will shut down long before crystals form.

Secondly - a 9 iron may kill the toad, but it leaves the poisonous shell behind ready for another animal to eat it and be killed - I'd agree with you if you found the remnants of the toad and disposed of it adequately then I'd have no argument. But that's just not the case is it?

If I catch a fish I usually do it for food - so it's unlikely to survive - I don't catch 'game' fish and most indications show while the fish suffers some short term damage from catch and release, the long term effects are slight if at all - most (so I have read) will live a happy and productive life. And if you're fishing correctly you won't catch non-target or undersized fish (in most cases).

Shooting - when done properly is an adequate method of killing. Personally, I have the shooting ability of a blind, no arms hedgehog so I wouldn't choose shooting as my sport of choice as I'd leave too many injured animals.

All I say is something really simple... If you kill - that's fine... But make it quick. Is it that hard to understand?

And if you do kill a cane toad, remove it from the environment and pop it in a bin inside a plastic bag so it will cause no more damage to wildlife (hopefully).

I really don't think any of what I said can be argued with - unfortunately people believe detol, metho, etc are effective humane methods - it's NOT! And that's my message.

:)

Totally agree, spaying a caustic substance on anything is cruel.

I have never thought about the fact that I leave dead toads everywhere... I agree with you that is a good idea to get rid of the dead animals.

You wont catch me putting down the 9 iron though, my fridge and freezer are for food not toads :)

Actually if you think about it - the cold blooded system will shut down long before crystals form.

Secondly - a 9 iron may kill the toad, but it leaves the poisonous shell behind ready for another animal to eat it and be killed - I'd agree with you if you found the remnants of the toad and disposed of it adequately then I'd have no argument. But that's just not the case is it?

If I catch a fish I usually do it for food - so it's unlikely to survive - I don't catch 'game' fish and most indications show while the fish suffers some short term damage from catch and release, the long term effects are slight if at all - most (so I have read) will live a happy and productive life. And if you're fishing correctly you won't catch non-target or undersized fish (in most cases).

Shooting - when done properly is an adequate method of killing. Personally, I have the shooting ability of a blind, no arms hedgehog so I wouldn't choose shooting as my sport of choice as I'd leave too many injured animals.

All I say is something really simple... If you kill - that's fine... But make it quick. Is it that hard to understand?

And if you do kill a cane toad, remove it from the environment and pop it in a bin inside a plastic bag so it will cause no more damage to wildlife (hopefully).

I really don't think any of what I said can be argued with - unfortunately people believe detol, metho, etc are effective humane methods - it's NOT! And that's my message.

Totally agree, spaying a caustic substance on anything is cruel.

I have never thought about the fact that I leave dead toads everywhere... I agree with you that is a good idea to get rid of the dead animals.

You wont catch me putting down the 9 iron though, my fridge and freezer are for food not toads :)

Yay - glad you can still get your golf practice... but now you need the equivalent of a duck dog but with tolerance to the toads poison... then you won't have to ever worry :)

Maybe you should try a clubbing sport rather than a hitting sport then :) Just as much fun with less distance to travel!

Totally, I hate golf anyways, good way to ruin a nice walk.

On a more serious note I think we as reptile enthusiasts should really band together to do more in order to diminish toad numbers, they really affect the species we are passionate about and lets face it, short of a miracle the government is fresh out of ideas...

Hey, the government don't even list them as a noxious pest, they're not even in the same category as opuntia, mimosa and mosquito fish!!! They've done nothing at all.

There's talk of a virus...

Otherwise it's up to us! You're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back