Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand they shouldn't be out and about, but that doesn't make it any less of a nasty thing to do - PURPOSELY trying to run down an animal. It's no better than those who run over reptiles because they don't like them.

If a cats out and about at night whos to say it isn't a feral. If I were on the property and saw a cat cross my fence line id shoot no questions asked. Same applies for a dog. Its up to the owner to provide a safe wellbeing for the animal so if it were to be killed I would have no remorse for their mistake in judgment. fact is there are domesticated and ferals. Its up to the owner to make sure it doesnt get out of its safe environment. Just as if an olive python were let out at night and your neighbours chopped it with a shovel, you would be responsible for the pets death for allowing it to be in a situation where it can me mistaken for a threat.

Uhh..no. The person who chopped it up with a shovel would be responsible. For chopping it up with a shovel.

I cant speak for populations all over where the cane toad is,but i have noticed here in Mt Isa there seems to be far less cane toads around than there was last year,last year my lawn was covered with the ugly things after dark and they were all over the roads,but this year im lucky if i see 5 in my yard a night,im not sure if this is a sign that possibly in some areas mother nature is somehow taking care of them herself or wat,although i do agree something needs to be done about them i think Steves idea sounds like one of the best idea in theory JMO

i've always disliked all these ferel animals like pigs, cats canetoads, foxes ect(and people) threatening our native wildlife. i've always been concerned about them. all i can say is good on the scrubbys for eating them:lol:

Unfortunately this is often quoted and misrepresents the situation.

Apparently it's true that Cane toads have not driven any one species to extinction, but this quote refers to the whole population right across it's distribution range

The real danger is extinction of localised populations where the toads occur

yes of course especially with species like King Brown/mulga which make up several variations across cane toad areas,the one that comes to mind is the big top end mulga that has been devastated,but more southern P.australis are obvoiusly unaffected where cane toads dont go.

I will however point out that people like to turn a blind eye when cats are mentioned. I regularly try and go out of my way to run over next doors cats because they kill a large range of native reptiles, mammals and birds. I'm doing the same as everyone else here so when I succeed and the neighbors find it dead it shouldn't be a problem, I was simply eradicating a pest wasn't I?

It was merely a lie I made up to see how people would react when its a domesticated ferel animal. VERY interesting to see peoples reactions indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was merely a lie I made up to see how people would react when its a domesticated ferel animal. VERY interesting to see peoples reactions indeed.

I'm not talking about feral cats, I agree the kindest and best thing is to have them shot. You specifically mentioned a 'neighbours' cat though, meaning it has a family and certainly not feral by standard of the word.

In a suburban / city environment, it's probably safe to assume it is owned by someone.

To be honest that's like feeding foxes. There doesn't need to be anything cruel or heartless about it, but simply put: they don't belong here. There are plenty of humane euthanasia advice methods for toads. One female toad could mean the difference between 9,000–20,000 eggs (and I'm sure that's an understatement). In this battle every bit helps.

Its about education though. If you have a problem with a neighbors cat try talking to them, like i have done in the past.

I foster for a rescue organisation that has desexing and education programs. We also only rehome to inside homes, if someone even hints that the cat will be let outside then i do not adopt to them. Its responsible pet ownership!

That being said, my housemates boyfriend has accidentally left our door open a couple of times, letting my cat escape. This is not on purpose obviously and i usually find him and get him inside within an hour but if someone tried to run him over in that time, they would have hell to pay!

I also agree that we need to kill cane toads, but humanely. As has been mentioned fridge and then freezer is the best option. They are still animals with a nervous system so the people who pour salt on them or 'play golf' with them are just as sadistic as someone who would do that to a pet in my mind.

It has actually been put forward that one of the best ways to control local toad populations is community involvement.

I would also love to see the OPs comment to all this? Although i cant help but think this was a troll...

Cats, foxes, camels, pigs, toads, buffalos, dogs, Indian mynas, etc.... and humans. All invasive species. Humans being the most destructive invasive species as out of all the fore mentioned animals it's the only one that can do something about the other invasive species for the natives yet chooses not to.

It has actually been put forward that one of the best ways to control local toad populations is community involvement.

This can work well but only on a small scale. Look at the work of Frogwatch NT in keeping toads out of the East point reserve. By actively doing so they have helped maintain a population of panoptes, frillies and bluetongues, when other suburbs in Darwin have really felt the full brunt of the toads.

i totally agree, if it wasnt for us they wouldnt be here in the first place! then add all the land clearing and stuff.
lets get ourselves under control first, then get into the others ;)
Cats, foxes, camels, pigs, toads, buffalos, dogs, Indian mynas, etc.... and humans. All invasive species. Humans being the most destructive invasive species as out of all the fore mentioned animals it's the only one that can do something about the other invasive species for the natives yet chooses not to.

ps. i still say good on the scrubbys for eating them(pigs and others)

These Toads were introduced to eradicate the cane grub/beetle.
Not enough research was done and they didn't serve their purpose one bit.
They can breed twice a year and produce 40,000 eggs each time.
And the way the weather has been lately it wouldn't surprise me that they eventually end up all over Australia. They hibernate when they need to, nothing natural can wipe them out.
if I ever saw one I'd kill it without hesitation.

has anyone seen the OP since posting this thread????? i dont know why people are saying its ok the natives will adapt if not they will die out.....what is with that?????? and also do you people that are saying that understand how long it takes for a species to adapt to something that has just turned up that is poisonous an will kill them, when it looks and smells like the toad they they have been eating for thousands of years that hasnt made the DEAD.......

has anyone seen the OP since posting this thread????? i dont know why people are saying its ok the natives will adapt if not they will die out.....what is with that?????? and also do you people that are saying that understand how long it takes for a species to adapt to something that has just turned up that is poisonous an will kill them, when it looks and smells like the toad they they have been eating for thousands of years that hasnt made the DEAD.......

If the mother ingests the poison the babies are immune. That's how evolution works. "Rolls eyes and bangs head against the wall"

Id say the OP is either too embarrassed or posted before school and is about to come home to find a rude shock

Last edited:
i forgot about that my bad.......maybe we should just gather all the species they are harming, sit them down show pictures and tell them what will happen and VAVOOM problem solved.........evolved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back