Cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
For some time i have been thinking about keeping a cane toad, to my knowledge this is legal in QLD (if you want to say otherwise please direct me to where it says so).

Has anyone here ever kept them before? or got any tips for keeping them?

Im not posting this thread to start an arguement, i proably do more than most here to eliminate them. Im not posting this to hear 'just kill it' or other stupid comments.

Also i would be interested to learn about their poison and if it can be transmitted through their skin other than where their poison glands are.
Any good links or info would be appreciated.

A student at Melbourne uni had kept some for research a few years ago and said they wont eat if they're too cold but otherwise they are fairly easy to keep even eating dog food.

i think theyre cute, in their own weird way, go for it an get a cane toad, ive got no idea how to keep em, practise makes perfect?? plenty of wild ones haha

I had been thinking about get 1 single cane toad, but can't be bothered to get an amphibian license lol. I would imagine they would be fairly easy to keep, moist substrate, some leaf litter to hide in, a water source, some food and no golf club's and they will be sweet!

Hope you find some, if not you can go to my sisters house, millions of them there.

cheers

Cane Toads are considered a noxious pest, there is HUGE fines for even putting one in a bucket alive.

This is not a go at you.

Cane Toads are considered a noxious pest, there is HUGE fines for even putting one in a bucket alive.

In QLD they are not a declared pest, please read my first post.

dont think their toxin is dangerous on the skin (we dissected them at uni) just make sure u wash hands thoroughly after handling, be careful not to touch your eyes and when u go to the toilet :lol:

I am tempted to keep one as our 4 year old daughter keeps calling our bearded dragons cane toads, no matter how much we try to teach her. I figured if I put one in her bedroom she will soon figure it out!! LOL The poison is only transmitted from the glands.

why would you want one at all?

They are pretty awesome animals IMO, if more ppl kept them we would know alot more about them too.
I have always and will always kill any i see in the wild(well except for the 1 i keep if i decide to), whenever i walk somewhere from my house at night i usually get 5 or so big adults and they havnt successfully bred in my ponds for many years.

so chris you should realise cane toads are evil and terrible for our country. whats awesome about them???

Yeah i know they are really bad for the country thats the main reason why i want to keep them, as for them being evil, they are no more evil than any other animal.
Im not going to release them or anything, i would keep it securely until it dies or they become illegal.

Keeping a cane toad as a 'pet' in Brisbane is far less of a threat to biodiversity than keeping reptiles that dont originate from the area(99% of what ppl keep).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back