Cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cris, I kept one many years ago in the UK back when they were referred to as Marine Toads. They actually are pretty easy to keep and are incredibly hardy. I kill everyone I see but don't consider them evil or ugly or disgusting and I take absolutely no pleasure in killing them.
The fact that you keep one will have zero affect on the wildlife of Queensland.

maybe im thick becuase i still see no reason why they are awesome.

Probably not, i would assume it is just your opinion. There are alot of ppl who hate animals just because they are pests, and if they are in a place where they are a pest that is OK, im not much of a fan of cats, but if they are kept locked up its ok with me and they are safe that way too;)
A cane toad in a secure enclosure well inside its existing range is no threat to anything.

I wasnt trying to debate about stuff in this thread.

I don't hate any animal because it is a pest, I hate what they do but I don't hate the animal as an animal. I reckon foxes are beautiful animals, they have no place here but that doesn't make them an ugly loathsome animal.

getting back to the question that was asked
ring the zoo and speak to them about how to care for them that is what i would do
good luck with the cain toad!!

I wouldn't want to keep a pet toad, they make me want to throw up. I have no idea why. Ever since I was like 4 if I saw a cane toad I started to feel like I was going to be sick.. It's up to you if you want to keep one as a pet?.

There was a cane toad in our garage the other day, so I got the rack and sort of pushed it outside and then whacked it over the fense, it got up and hopped away.

I don't hate any animal because it is a pest, I hate what they do but I don't hate the animal as an animal. I reckon foxes are beautiful animals, they have no place here but that doesn't make them an ugly loathsome animal.

Yeah i fully agree with you, to me its more of a hate of them being here not the individual animal or species. Cat, fox, pig, toad or whatever it should to be killed humanely or kept away from our wildlife. Learning more about toads is actually a good thing IMO.

re Cane

Cris, I kept one many years ago in the UK back when they were referred to as Marine Toads. They actually are pretty easy to keep and are incredibly hardy. I kill everyone I see but don't consider them evil or ugly or disgusting and I take absolutely no pleasure in killing them.
The fact that you keep one will have zero affect on the wildlife of Queensland.
Yeh theres far too many,i used to slaughter them when i found them but theres just too many and you start to give up,they take some killing too and its extremely cruel when there half dead.Such a negative thing trying to wipe out cane toads in QLD when you think of the enormous amount of money,expertise and hard work the authorities have brought to bare in establishing the populations in the first place:)

kill them all. Kidding. I do not know the legalities of it but with a warmer temperature i think they would be easy enough to care for. Try to avoid licking the backs. Not cool

are you speaking from expeirience? :lol:
Some idiots actually do use them for their drugs. They arnt the same as others and their toxins are far more destructive than psychoactive, well thats what i read anyway.

Whahahahahahahaa TYPICAL backwards Queensland!

Hey QLD lets me keep my AHGs so don't you go complaining -shakes fist-.

I personally don't like Cane Toads but am very much siding with Cris on this one. I know from experience the crap you can get when you keep a pest animal. Each to their own!
As other's have said, I don't think it'll be hard to keep them. They strive here so just try mimic your backyard. Moist dirt or potting mix, a little hide and a pond of some sort. What sort of enclosure size would you need, I wonder.

re Cane

Whahahahahahahaa TYPICAL backwards Queensland! :p :lol:
They are not a declared pest that way they havent stuffed up and they can get Knighthoods and stuff,they probably still have feeding centres and health monitoring up there to see how successful the introduction is going;)

give yourself an uppercut cris, and think about it, and continue uppercutting untill you gain the hatred back for the cane toad.

get one as a tadpole and see how big you can get it! awesome idea, they seem to be pretty docile, if little kids can dress them in dolls clothes, so they might make a 'good' pet, keep us posted

give yourself an uppercut cris, and think about it, and continue uppercutting untill you gain the hatred back for the cane toad.

:lol: its not like im going to keep a kiwi or something, i will keep killing them and stopping them from breeding as much as i can(they are a fairly rare site in my yard and ponds). Also I grew out of uppercutting myself a few years ago :lol:

Funny. A cane toad isn't a pest but the native(sort off, been here longer than man) dingo is.

:lol: its not like im going to keep a kiwi or something, i will keep killing them and stopping them from breeding as much as i can(they are a fairly rare site in my yard and ponds). Also I grew out of uppercutting myself a few years ago :lol:

sounds like you need to get the guns back, because there's still some growing to do! :p :p :p

get one as a tadpole and see how big you can get it! awesome idea, they seem to be pretty docile, if little kids can dress them in dolls clothes, so they might make a 'good' pet, keep us posted

Yeah that was the basic plan, i want to see if i can get one over 4kg(current record i think) and learn as much as i can on the way. I would encourage others to do the same if they live in their existing range.

when they get to a good size - crispy fried toad legs?

Attachments

• CaneToad.jpg
    CaneToad.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back