Cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny. A cane toad isn't a pest but the native(sort off, been here longer than man) dingo is.
Actually the pure breeds of dingo are not considered a pest and are only found on Frazer Island.
They only hunt for food that has minimal effort and maximum nutrients/engery

The 'pest' dingos are the ones that have cross bred with our domesticated canines (the ones gone wild) Domesticated dogs that have gone wild have also been held responsible for most livestock and wild animal attacks.

speaking of the filthy lil buggas i was up late last nite bout 1:30 this morning trying to get one no joke the size of a mini rugby ball i heard it under my window i was like hmmm that aint no green tree frog so went on a murder death kill search of this lil bugga in my bonds tank and undies at 1:30 in the morning do you think i could catch it pmsl NO!!!!!!!!

The problem i see with keeping a cane toad is that it will develop, in some people, empathy for the wretched little mongrels. Think about what might happen if a family who lives in qld with their three kids, each with a beloved pet cane toad and they move to somewhere like Portheadland where there are no cane toads yet. Or when kids start thinkning they are all so cute and cuddly and wonderful pets so when they see one hopping around they let it go.

In Darwin we are currently seeing what happens to the native wildlife as new cane toad populations establish themselves. These are an animal that need to be hated to help control their spread.

and to think they brought it in the stop the locust plague in qld there is one animal that can kill a cane toad and they not be affect by there venom is the wolf spider plus theres also a bird too but they need to find something that will kill the cane toads but not anything else they are ruining natures wildlife.....

Cris, you probably have your own unlimited supply but if you run short i will send a couple bucket full of toads you way. Dont think they would be that hard to keep as from what ive seen anything that fits in their mouht is food, notice in winter they go m.i.a so probably assume some type of heating is needed in the cooler months. If they get any injuries just dont use dettol on them LOL

cris,
I would perhaps reconsider your decision, not for any other reason other than * why risk loosing your license* and your collection.
You know there may not be an actual reference pertaining to the keeping of toads, But i bet my lefty that if you had a surprise inspection pulled by parks and wildlife and they found you keeping a toad i reckon they would find something a way to make life uncomfortable.
And they do do surprise inspections! Been there had that.

re cane

Funny. A cane toad isn't a pest but the native(sort off, been here longer than man) dingo is.
Your jibbering Adzo, LOL The cane toads were introduced by the QLD department of agriculture and the cane growers association in consultation with other government bodys such as the CSIRO,they were sourced from Hawaii.

cris,
I would perhaps reconsider your decision, not for any other reason other than * why risk loosing your license* and your collection.
You know there may not be an actual reference pertaining to the keeping of toads, But i bet my lefty that if you had a surprise inspection pulled by parks and wildlife and they found you keeping a toad i reckon they would find something a way to make life uncomfortable.
And they do do surprise inspections! Been there had that.

If i decide to keep one i would get something in writing to cover my as. I already have something from DPI&F that says there is no problem with them at that level. I still have to check with the council too, but i doubt they would have anything against it. Im sure no ranger would have a problem if i explained the situation.

I have empathy for toads and all other animals(even cats) already thats why i kill them humanely, although you do have a point Gordon, maybe ppl should only keep them if they are a person who has respect for our ecosystem.

Its slightly of topic but i found a good way to humanely kill them when you dont have a large stick or airgun on hand, you just grab their foot and wack their heads on the ground as you would to kill a rat, it kills them instantly and if their back is facing the ground you dont have to worry about getting poison in your eye.

Dingo are considered a pest in Queensland, it is illegal to have one as a pet. Pure bred or otherwise. I looked into it a year or two ago.
I understand why cane toads were introduced, it was cris is posted that they are legal to keep.

and to think they brought it in the stop the locust plague in qld there is one animal that can kill a cane toad and they not be affect by there venom is the wolf spider plus theres also a bird too but they need to find something that will kill the cane toads but not anything else they are ruining natures wildlife.....

crows have learnt to flip them over and eat through the belly and avoid the poison glands.

Dingo are considered a pest in Queensland, it is illegal to have one as a pet. Pure bred or otherwise. I looked into it a year or two ago.
I understand why cane toads were introduced, it was cris is posted that they are legal to keep.

Ummm I find that incredibly hard to believe??? Can you please post some evidence to suggest otherwise.

Cheers.

It is illegal to keep Dingoes up here but not sure if it is because they are classed as a pest, I would be surprised. I understood they were protected ?

Well, I think this has cooked your goose Cris :lol:

Unless you have a permit, it is an offence under the Act to:

introduce a pest animal to the state
feed a declared pest animal
keep a declared pest animal
release a declared pest animal. .

Thanks for the info Adzo, although I still find it hard to believe the dingo classed as a pest. Again - bloody Queensland! :D

Thanks for the info Adzo, although I still find it hard to believe the dingo classed as a pest. Again - bloody Queensland! :D

Sad, I know. They are my fav canines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back