Cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see the problem, I keep loads of Cane Toads, free range in the front yard pool.

why would you want to keep a cane toad, it is quite possibly the
ugliest looking amphibian, and the poison glands and thier back
look like shoulder pads. ;)

why would you want to keep a cane toad, it is quite possibly the
ugliest looking amphibian, and the poison glands and thier back
look like shoulder pads. ;)

Im must admit i dont keep herps because i find them attractive, but what ever floats your boat i guess :shock: :lol:

Why keep one? to learn about them. I dont seem to be learning much by bashing their heads into the ground, but if i keep one i can learn about them. Im also interested in designing traps and other control measures.

I havnt got one yet either, its hard to find little ones when you keep killing all the adults.

Also if anyone knows of any existing laws that would make keeping 1 in Brisbane illegal, please let me know.

took out a massive one victor style the other day, completely by accident i assure you, but still,, i felt no guilt. :p

took out a massive one victor style the other day, completely by accident i assure you, but still,, i felt no guilt. :p

yeah mowers work good, but what happened to your bleeding heart, im shocked :lol:

For traps, especially in winter, i would try those black poly pits, in the ground and with some warmth. i used to find heaps of em in the telecom pit at the front of my house in winter.
If their all in the one spot makes it easier to round up and exterminate.

yeah mowers work good, but what happened to your bleeding heart, im shocked :lol:
lol, only bleeds at blatent cruelty to any animal, including nasty old toads, this was very quick and done by accident with no malise i assure you lol.

Sorry I haven't read all your posts or many others. I just want to ask one question about whether or not they even need to appear on the license. The frog keeping license thing is pretty particular, but I don't think it goes with the toads. I must admit I do not know, but... Would it be any different from keeping an AHG or even an Australian Co.ckroach? The latter of which are introduced despite their name!

I think there is no better way to defeat your enemy than to know your enemy. And I agree, they have fascinated me ever since I moved to Cairns.

I have captured and killed as many as I can on my property, they're almost becoming rare!

Keeping them... I can't see me doing it... And it's not because of my dislike of them, because I do like them, it's just the pain of haing to feed them every night.

Ever though of just leaving them outside, in a cage, with a pond or something, and just keeping a UV type light on above them to attract the insects? Kind of like a toad pit hehe... I would like to do that, but more with green tree frogs perhaps... It's just keeping them in that's the problem...

Well, let us know (if you haven't already) how you go with this venture...

if it's not illegal to keep them, then it can't be illegal to sell them.. wanna buy some Wrights Creek cane toads :p (throw ya in a couple of AHGs!!!)

PS - For those people who kill the cane toads, good work, keep it up, but please remove all dead cane toads, wrap them responsibley and discard them so they DO NOT get eaten when they're dead. They're equally as poisonous when dead as when alive.

Thank you for your consideration :)

Sorry I haven't read all your posts or many others. I just want to ask one question about whether or not they even need to appear on the license. The frog keeping license thing is pretty particular, but I don't think it goes with the toads. I must admit I do not know, but... Would it be any different from keeping an AHG or even an Australian Co.ckroach? Not on a state level but im not sure about national and local laws, they are not a protected native species so the regulations for native herps dont apply

Keeping them... I can't see me doing it... And it's not because of my dislike of them, because I do like them, it's just the pain of haing to feed them every night.
Feeding them is no real problem they will eat dry dog food and anything else meaty, more so if it moves i remember one eating a ping pong ball in a documentry.

if it's not illegal to keep them, then it can't be illegal to sell them.. wanna buy some Wrights Creek cane toads :p (throw ya in a couple of AHGs!!!)
Whats special about a wrights ck. cane toad? plenty of AHGs in the freezer, i dont pay for things i can get free ;)

The only problem with ppl keeping them is that someone could decide they like them and may not want to wipe them out, this is mentioned earlier in the thread and its a valid point but not an issue for me.

Wrights Creek Cane Toads are the evolutionists of cane toads... They have intelligence that I have not seen amongst toads before. They come out to hunt... do the usual, if I stand still you can't see me... But... Always, they run towards the house no matter where they are... Even if they have to go away from the house first they always head back again. It's as though they plan their route when under attack. If their is two or more they can manipulate you by crossing their paths several times.

Unfortunately for them, my techniques just keep getting better at trapping them.

So you want dull, lifeless cane toads, go with anyone of the,... want clever witty cane toads, go with the Wrights Creek Variety, at $250 each they're a steal! But for you Cris, i will elt you come and collect a couple from my breeding stock for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back